Black Bears Matter

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

NorthernFocus

Supporting Member
Marketplace
In Alaska brown bears get all the glory. They're the ones people fly in from all over the world to see. But what about their smaller cousins? They are three times more plentiful and get no love. Well they matter too don't they?

A few random shots from the files.

1) They don't get any prettier coats than this one.
p412061905-6.jpg

2) Foreplay
p438839644-6.jpg

3) Check out the ears.
p409496977-5.jpg

4) Sneaking up on them yummy fishes.
p261290353-5.jpg

5) Where are they?
p106686934-5.jpg

6) Who are you?
p25801948-5.jpg

In Alaska brown bears get all the glory. They're the ones people fly in from all over the world to see. But what about their smaller cousins? They are three times more plentiful and get no love. Well they matter too don't they?

p412061905-6.jpg

2) Foreplay
p438839644-6.jpg

3) Check out the ears.
p409496977-5.jpg

p261290353-5.jpg

5) Where are they?
p106686934-5.jpg

6) Who are you?
p25801948-5.jpg
Beautiful shots Dan👍👍👍

p412061905-6.jpg

2) Foreplay
p438839644-6.jpg

3) Check out the ears.
p409496977-5.jpg

p261290353-5.jpg

5) Where are they?
p106686934-5.jpg

6) Who are you?
p25801948-5.jpg
Nice shots Dan. Last one my fav here.He does have a nice heavy coat. I assume you were ina boat or other side of shore on these which is the inly place I would like to be with bears!

Well this is disappointing - like Barbara, the photos won't load for me. And I've tried Chrome, Edge, Firefox, DuckDuckGo...even tried on my phone. No luck.

I wanna see the bears! (crossing my arms and huffing like a 5 year old)

Great series. Wonderful images. Sorry Brown Bear you may soon be displaced
Brownies are still special. Plus they tend to socialize a bit more which is interesting around a salmon stream. Black bears a very intolerant of competition.
Well this is disappointing - like Barbara, the photos won't load for me. And I've tried Chrome, Edge, Firefox, DuckDuckGo...even tried on my phone. No luck.

I wanna see the bears! (crossing my arms and huffing like a 5 year old)
Not sure what's going on there. These are displayed via link to my website. Maybe something was going on with my site provider?
Very nice set. #6 is saying that’s close enough so move on.....
That shot was taken when the bear finally noticed me after several minutes. Must have finally caught my scent.
Amazing set Dan.
Thanks, Bill.
Very nice photos. Black bears are my favorite mammal: smart, strong and insatiablely curious.
Thanks, Woody. I tell people back home that they're like 300 lb racoons.
Very nice!
Thanks for commenting.

When you first posted this thread I thought you forgot the links as it was blank. Then I reloaded and I saw the photos, then I looked again and they were gone. Now they're back.

All super photos and do the bears justice. My favorite is the last one I think, all good though.
Thanks for letting me know about the technical issues. I'll see what I can figure out.
Great series, beautiful shot Dan👍👍
Glad you enjoyed them Ira.

Nice images, Dan. Black bears hang out in the forests where we have a cottage near Parry Sound. I've seen them a few times but I was never fortunate enough to get close to one for a decent image.

they look bigger than their eastern cousins!

The male in the first photo is a pretty good size; large male black bears in Pennsylvania regularly exceed 600 pounds. A few years ago a camera trap in our yard photographed one I estimated at over 500 pounds -- he was killed a couple of years later when he weighed 641 pounds. The largest killed last year weighed 772 pounds, one of ten that weighed over 600 pounds.

Back