Black Friday - HyperShop NVMe Enclosure real life experience

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BarkingBeans Coffee

Michael H
Supporting Member
Marketplace
On sale now for $90 again as of Nov 16th. I just got it so I am not advocating this product.

I can tell you what I see. It's USB4 not Thunderbolt.
I had two OWC Envoy NVMe enclosures. They limited my Samsung 970 2 TB NVMe to about 1300 mbs.
I have an OWC Thunderbolt Pro dock which I don't consider Pro after using it and this is another reason.
First disk speed test below is plugged directly into my 2021 M1 MBP.
Second one is plugged into the OWC notPro dock.
3079 vs 2059. Product specs says it supports 3800. My Mac reads at 6200 which is crazy.
This unit supposedly takes NVMe's of all sizes up to 16TB.
It included two soft blue pads which I am not sure what they are for and have asked. Not covered in the manual.
I ordered this on Oct 28 and they sold out and it arrived today Nov 16th. They didn't email me about the delay. I had to contact them. Various Reddit threads not great support and my experience is you are better off calling them.
The unit is much larger than the OwC enclosure but since it sits on my desk I don't care. It comes in a silicon case. If you want it for travel, consider the size. Bottom image, Samsung T7 (love these but slower about 800mbs), OWC, and Hyper, left to right.

I will be testing this with PS and LRc.

Product link.

Introducing the world’s fastest 40Gbps USB4 SSD Enclosure. The HyperDrive Next USB4 NVMe SSD Enclosure unlocks increased productivity by working directly from your SSD. Experience lightning-fast 40Gbps transfer speeds and seamless compatibility with M.2 NVMe SSDs. The easy snap-in installation ensures effortless setup, while the IP55 rating provides reliable water and dust resistance. Designed with EcoSmart™ Sustainability using 100% recycled aluminum.
1700166130571.png

1700166108937.png

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 1.36.24 PM copy.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Do you happen to know how this compares to the Orico 40 GPS enclosure?
Sorry I don't. A quick glance at the Amazon listing shows - "The transfer speed of this NVMe Enclosure is up to 40Gbps. After installing NVMe SSD, the read and write speed can reach 3100MB/s." I note an image shows 2800.

The Hyper one claims up to 3800 and I got what you see above with older Samsung 970. So for $90+114 you could have a very fast 2TB drive. I don't consider it pocketable portable for trips but would go ok in a bag. The Orico seems the same.

At $90 I was ready to take a chance. Now I am looking for a good deal on a 4TB NMVe to put in it and this Crucial could be it at $180. It's PCI4 vs PCI3 on the Samsung 970 so should give similar or faster speeds.

EDIT- THE CRUCIAL IS A FEATURED BH ITEM ON SALE. I ORDERED IT AND WILL REPORT BACK.

Last edited:
Now I am looking for a good deal on a 4TB NMVe to put in it and this Crucial could be it at $180. It's PCI4 vs PCI3 on the Samsung 970 so should give similar or faster speeds.
fwiw, if the controller in the enclosure is pci3 based but the drive is pci4 then it'll work, but it'll be hard to predict what the transfer rate will be

i also recall there's some funkiness in the details about how tb works and that the 40Gbps isn't really obtainable for this use case.

otoh, numbers like 2000MB/s are pretty decent for an external drive, regardless, and 3000MB/s are downright good, both being substantially above "normal" usb speeds.

Last edited:
fwiw, if the controller in the enclosure is pci3 based but the drive is pci4 then it'll work, but it'll be hard to predict what the transfer rate will be

i also recall there's some funkiness in the details about how tb works and that the 40Gbps isn't really obtainable for this use case.

otoh, numbers like 2000MB/s are pretty decent for an external drive, regardless, and 3000MB/s are downright good, both being substantially above "normal" usb speeds.
Specs state compatible with 4 or 3. I will know early next week on Crucial. I can tell you this is much better right now for large PS files than the OWC one. By large one was 650mb.

World’s Fastest 40Gbps USB4 SSD Enclosure
Work directly from your SSD with the fastest M.2 NVMe enclosure available today. Fast transfer speeds up to 3,800 Mbps enabling maximum productivity.
Fits All M.2 NVMe SSDs 2230/2240/2260/2280
Compatible with the highest-performing PCIe Gen4/3 SSD for a noticeable boost in speed and performance.

The Crucial 4TB SSD is in. No real change in speed with the PCle 4 vs 3. In fact maybe 100mbs slower at 2900. Maybe this is a MAC limitation as the drive is rated up to 4800. Even so for $269 I got a blazing fast 4TB drive compared to my old OWC enclosure or a Samsung T7. For desktop use this is the way to go. One could travel with it but as seen above it's the largest of the drives. For $70 more than a Samsung 4GB T7 Shield (not the thin model), you can get a drive that 3.3x the speed.

Doing what I want now with 4TB. Storing my Bridge Cache, LR library, and WIP images. Also using as second scratch disk for PS.

Notes:
  • The price at BH for the Crucial appears to be up to 199 from 179. Amazon has it still for 179 but no PayBoo tax savings there.
  • Drive came unformatted. When I used the Mac Disc Utility for APFS/Guid Partition it came out read only. Not sure what I missed. Could be something I did in Carbon Copy to transfer files to it. Command I, unlock permissions and change to read/ write fixed it easily.
  • PS seems to be saving faster with the larger scratch disk. I was getting a long pause at 99% at seems to have gone away.

While Hypers back office isn't the best, this does seem like a solid unit.

Last edited:
On sale now for $90 again as of Nov 16th. I just got it so I am not advocating this product.

I can tell you what I see. It's USB4 not Thunderbolt.
I had two OWC Envoy NVMe enclosures. They limited my Samsung 970 2 TB NVMe to about 1300 mbs.
I have an OWC Thunderbolt Pro dock which I don't consider Pro after using it and this is another reason.
First disk speed test below is plugged directly into my 2021 M1 MBP.
Second one is plugged into the OWC notPro dock.
3079 vs 2059. Product specs says it supports 3800. My Mac reads at 6200 which is crazy.
This unit supposedly takes NVMe's of all sizes up to 16TB.
It included two soft blue pads which I am not sure what they are for and have asked. Not covered in the manual.
I ordered this on Oct 28 and they sold out and it arrived today Nov 16th. They didn't email me about the delay. I had to contact them. Various Reddit threads not great support and my experience is you are better off calling them.
The unit is much larger than the OwC enclosure but since it sits on my desk I don't care. It comes in a silicon case. If you want it for travel, consider the size. Bottom image, Samsung T7 (love these but slower about 800mbs), OWC, and Hyper, left to right.

I will be testing this with PS and LRc.

Product link.

View attachment 74412
View attachment 74411

View attachment 74413
I like the last picture. What item is it? I want such a thing to keep my SSD enclosures neat

Thanks for your insights. I found this site and this thread, coincidentally, because I recently purchased the exact same Hyperdrive enclosure and Crucial M.2 SSD that you have purchased, and I was looking for help on what to do with the two thermal transfer pads included with the enclosure. My SSD arrived a few days ago, and my Hyperdrive enclosure arrived today.
Both thermal pads are the same size and thickness. My *guess* is that one of the pads is a spare to be used later if I replace my initial SSD with a larger one. So I'm going to start by installing one pad and leaving the other in the box.

I briefly considered whether to attach the pad to the cut-out in the enclosure or to install it directly to the top of the SSD. I decided that only way I could ensure a solid connection to the SSD was to attach it first to the SSD, then close the enclosure and hope that the pad also contacts the enclosure. Of course, I peeled off the plastic covers from both sides of the pad. I don't plan to open the enclosure again, unless I replace the SSD.

Is the pad workng? I don't know. The enclosure feels uniformly warm over its entire surface, so I guess that's a good sign.

Update: I opened the HyperDrive case and added the second thermal pad to see if it would fit. It doesn't. The case won't close completely with both pads installed. So I removed the second pad and put it away for future use.

Update: I opened the HyperDrive case and added the second thermal pad to see if it would fit. It doesn't. The case won't close completely with both pads installed. So I removed the second pad and put it away for future use.
Yes they told me it’s a spare. What speed are you getting on what computer?

The Crucial 4TB SSD is in. No real change in speed with the PCle 4 vs 3. In fact maybe 100mbs slower at 2900. Maybe this is a MAC limitation as the drive is rated up to 4800. Even so for $269 I got a blazing fast 4TB drive compared to my old OWC enclosure or a Samsung T7. For desktop use this is the way to go. One could travel with it but as seen above it's the largest of the drives. For $70 more than a Samsung 4GB T7 Shield (not the thin model), you can get a drive that 3.3x the speed.

Doing what I want now with 4TB. Storing my Bridge Cache, LR library, and WIP images. Also using as second scratch disk for PS.

Notes:
  • The price at BH for the Crucial appears to be up to 199 from 179. Amazon has it still for 179 but no PayBoo tax savings there.
  • Drive came unformatted. When I used the Mac Disc Utility for APFS/Guid Partition it came out read only. Not sure what I missed. Could be something I did in Carbon Copy to transfer files to it. Command I, unlock permissions and change to read/ write fixed it easily.
  • PS seems to be saving faster with the larger scratch disk. I was getting a long pause at 99% at seems to have gone away.

While Hypers back office isn't the best, this does seem like a solid unit.
Thank you so much for the detailed feedback.

On the Crucial SSDs, I once encountered an odd problem with some models, it seems their product runs with an unusual chip, which makes the SSDs incompatible of operating systems.

Oliver

I faster data throughput by having two NVMe devices mount inside my computer with direct access to the PCIe bus. One drawback, at least with Windows OS is that when one fails the only way to determine which of the two has failed is to swap one out and then the other if the first swap did not fix the mirror.

I faster data throughput by having two NVMe devices mount inside my computer with direct access to the PCIe bus. One drawback, at least with Windows OS is that when one fails the only way to determine which of the two has failed is to swap one out and then the other if the first swap did not fix the mirror.
Yes, Windows PCs have a significant advantage over Macs when it comes to user upgrades, so this thread is probably more interesting to Mac users than PC users.

Back