If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MMoretti

Michael
Supporting Member
Marketplace
My first sighting of a rhino in the wild earlier this year. An amazing beast, almost prehistoric experience.

IMG_1805.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Thank you, all. I might add that it was the first time I was ever in a place where I might see a rhino in the wild. Looking forward to returning next year… this time with a bit longer reach.

Please do not provide locations of Rhinos. They are being decimated by poachers
Understood, I‘m aware of that ‘rule’. There is no location data in the exif and I haven‘t since shared any details with anyone where I took this photo. Do you feel that sharing the park name is too much info?

I also got some shots of a white rhino in the brush (shrubbery!). He had already had his horn removed by wildlife managers, as an anti-poaching measure. Very sad to see, though they do grow back pretty quickly. A controversial practice, I understand, but supposedly it’s effective.

Last edited:
He had already had his horn removed by wildlife managers, as an anti-poaching measure. Very sad to see, though they do grow back pretty quickly. A controversial practice, I understand, but supposedly it’s effective.
Nice photo - the wildlife managers may have saved it's life. Poachers are cruel

Understood, I‘m aware of that ‘rule’. There is no location data in the exif and I haven‘t since shared any details with anyone where I took this photo. Do you feel that sharing the park name is too much info?
I am glad you take this as i meant it, The park name is enough for the poachers, so it is best not to provide it. We have a huge problem here, and the best practice is to not publish any photos of Rhinos.

Nice photo - the wildlife managers may have saved its life. Poachers are cruel
I’ve read that a primary concern with dehorning is how it may impact a rhino’s socialization habits, particularly for breeding. My understanding is that it has clearly been a deterrent to poaching, but the jury is still out on the social implications.

Nice image. It's neat how the rhino's colour blends into the scenery around it.

As for location data, I don't think it's a problem to publish images of rhinos on these forums provided the location data is removed. I'm sure it's OK to identify whether the image was taken in a specific country in Africa because many of those countries have rhinos in them. Many of the game reserves, both private and government-operated, advertise that one can see the Big Five there, of which the rhino is one of them. You just need to view their websites to know whether they have rhinos.

Having spoken to South African safari guides a few times, the problem comes when one publishes an image that has the coordinates embedded in the image. That is true for probably all mobile phone cameras and any camera that has GPS location installed, or cameras that can pull the coordinates from other sources and embed them in the image. Nikon's SnapBridge is an example.