Blackburnian warbler

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Richard Stern

Supporting Member
Marketplace
2 views of a male - one of the prettiest of the Western hemisphere warblers. Named after an English naturalist, Anna Blackburne, who lived in Warrington, near Blackburn in Lancashire (where according to the Beatles there were 4000 holes), and who probably never saw one. They have a soft high-pitched song, and usually prefer the tops of tall conifer trees in both their nesting habitat in the boreal forest and their wintering habitat in the mountains of Colombia and Peru. Nova Scotia, June 2024. Fairly hefty crop, processed in LrC and Topaz AI. TFL.

BLWA-6166944 copy.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

BLWA-6166877 copy.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

2 views of a male - one of the prettiest of the Western hemisphere warblers. Named after an English naturalist, Anna Blackburne, who lived in Warrington, near Blackburn in Lancashire (where according to the Beatles there were 4000 holes), and who probably never saw one. They have a soft high-pitched song, and usually prefer the tops of tall conifer trees in both their nesting habitat in the boreal forest and their wintering habitat in the mountains of Colombia and Peru. Nova Scotia, June 2024. Fairly hefty crop, processed in LrC and Topaz AI. TFL.

View attachment 91417

View attachment 91418
Gorgeous!👍👍👍

Beautiful bird, though I think the name is changing? I read recently there is a move based on political correctness to remove all proper nouns (eg names of people) from North American birds?

Beautiful bird, though I think the name is changing? I read recently there is a move based on political correctness to remove all proper nouns (eg names of people) from North American birds?
Yes that’s going to happen but I don’t thank any specifics have been decided yet. Good for the field guide publishers though!

Back