Blinkies with manual shutter and manual aperature and iso using matrix metering

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

As per title above, with manual shutter and manual aperture and auto iso on nikon z6ii with matrix metering on a fairly well lit subject shutter 1/1200 for relatively stationary birds in a nest f6.3 at approx 500mm on z180 t0 600mm ...auto iso ....overexposed and blinkies on review screen. Any thoughts why overexposure/ iso cranking high? Thanks!

Any thoughts why overexposure/ iso cranking high?
As Karen posted it would be best to see a sample of the problem with the EXIF data (Shutter Speed, Aperture and what the camera chose for ISO). But the typical problem is the tones in the scene, particularly the subject vs the background if the subject isn't filling the frame. IOW, camera metering and automated exposure modes (including Auto ISO) work on the assumption that the scene averages out to middle tone (i.e. 18% reflectivity or the tone of standard photo gray card). If you have something like a dark background, and a bird with some white feathers, especially if the bird doesn't take up most or all of the frame then the camera will overexpose trying to make that dark background middle tone and the white feathers will blow out.

The answer in a case like that is some negative exposure compensation to protect the highlights and get that dark background dark again. There are other combos of subject tones, subject itself (e.g. all bright like a Trumpeter Swan vs mostly dark with a bit of bright like a Bald Eagle or Osprey) vs backgrounds that can cause exposure troubles and again if you're shooting in an automated exposure mode like Manual with Auto ISO then dialing in some exposure compensation is the best way to deal with those problems.

The other option if the light isn't changing fast is to shoot in full Manual exposure with manual ISO and pre-meter on something neutral toned and then shoot without worrying about blowing highlights until the light levels change (e.g. sun going in and out of clouds or near sunrise/sunset).

This blog post and video of @Steve's might help:

The point of the blinkies is to show you what areas of the image are in danger of blowing out, and to give you a chance to either use negative exposure comp or take over the iso as manual and reduce it. Possibly a light subject with a dark background. As the old saying goes, background brighter - brighten, background darker - darken.

The exact reason I don't ever shoot Auto ISO. 100% manual for me. The camera far to often gets fooled and still needs input from the user in the form of exposure compensation. Why not just shoot full manual and adjust the ISO? It's far better to know what the ISO is at all times then just let the camera fly with whatever ISO and you're just trying to adjust the exposure not knowing what the camera is constantly floating the ISO. Especially with a dual gain sensor with dual base ISO or ISO64 and ISO500.

Matrix is exposing for the whole frame and exposing for 18% grey so by bringing averaging the scene, darks can be to dark and whites can often be to hot or blown. f you are more concerned with overexposure, you should try the Highlight-Weighed meter mode that in general underexposed but .3 or .7 as it only look for any white or highlights in the frame and exposes for that. You would just not want to use this meter mode for backlight or overly dark scenes

Last edited:
As per title above, with manual shutter and manual aperture and auto iso on nikon z6ii with matrix metering on a fairly well lit subject shutter 1/1200 for relatively stationary birds in a nest f6.3 at approx 500mm on z180 t0 600mm ...auto iso ....overexposed and blinkies on review screen. Any thoughts why overexposure/ iso cranking high? Thanks!
Dave nailed it. Use EC to compensate. Usually about -.5 to -1.0 with birds such osprey and bald eagles against a dark background.

As Karen posted it would be best to see a sample of the problem with the EXIF data (Shutter Speed, Aperture and what the camera chose for ISO). But the typical problem is the tones in the scene, particularly the subject vs the background if the subject isn't filling the frame. IOW, camera metering and automated exposure modes (including Auto ISO) work on the assumption that the scene averages out to middle tone (i.e. 18% reflectivity or the tone of standard photo gray card). If you have something like a dark background, and a bird with some white feathers, especially if the bird doesn't take up most or all of the frame then the camera will overexpose trying to make that dark background middle tone and the white feathers will blow out.

The answer in a case like that is some negative exposure compensation to protect the highlights and get that dark background dark again. There are other combos of subject tones, subject itself (e.g. all bright like a Trumpeter Swan vs mostly dark with a bit of bright like a Bald Eagle or Osprey) vs backgrounds that can cause exposure troubles and again if you're shooting in an automated exposure mode like Manual with Auto ISO then dialing in some exposure compensation is the best way to deal with those problems.

The other option if the light isn't changing fast is to shoot in full Manual exposure with manual ISO and pre-meter on something neutral toned and then shoot without worrying about blowing highlights until the light levels change (e.g. sun going in and out of clouds or near sunrise/sunset).

This blog post and video of @Steve's might help:

It took awhile for me to grasp Steve’ explanation in one of his earlier books. If taking a picture of a polar bear, one must add light/exposure (+ Exp comp), because the camera is trying to make the polar bear “grey” and if one is taking a picture of a black bear, one must subtract light/exposure (- exposure comp), because the camera is tryin to make the black bear “grey”. Hope I got that right? 🤔

It took awhile for me to grasp Steve’ explanation in one of his earlier books. If taking a picture of a polar bear, one must add light/exposure (+ Exp comp), because the camera is trying to make the polar bear “grey” and if one is taking a picture of a black bear, one must subtract light/exposure (- exposure comp), because the camera is tryin to make the black bear “grey”. Hope I got that right? 🤔
More or less but remember it’s not just the main subject but the tone of the overall scene. This can really confuse folks with something like a white bird small in the frame with a dark background taking up much of the frame. It’s a white bird but if most of the scene is dark you’d want negative exposure comp to keep the scene dark but at the same time keep the white bird from blowing out.

IOW, yes add light to keep a bright scene bright(positive exposure comp), take away light to keep a dark scene dark (negative exposure comp) but consider the whole scene and what’s influencing the meter not just the main subject unless it fills the frame or you’re spot metering on a small portion of it.

The exact reason I don't ever shoot Auto ISO. 100% manual for me. The camera far to often gets fooled and still needs input from the user in the form of exposure compensation. Why not just shoot full manual and adjust the ISO? It's far better to know what the ISO is at all times then just let the camera fly with whatever ISO and you're just trying to adjust the exposure not knowing what the camera is constantly floating the ISO. Especially with a dual gain sensor with dual base ISO or ISO64 and ISO500.

Matrix is exposing for the whole frame and exposing for 18% grey so by bringing averaging the scene, darks can be to dark and whites can often be to hot or blown. f you are more concerned with overexposure, you should try the Highlight-Weighed meter mode that in general underexposed but .3 or .7 as it only look for any white or highlights in the frame and exposes for that. You would just not want to use this meter mode for backlight or overly dark scenes
In a situation in which light level is changing rapidly (BIF and subjects moving in and out of shaded areas), I’ve found Auto ISO is best option to ensure that I get a properly exposed shot without manually trying to find an acceptable ISO.

Also, consider that Matrix metering is not the best choice in all situations. Center weighted or Spot can sometimes ensure that the subject is properly exposed while disregarding other lighting in the frame.

One could get fine results without using a meter at all. Just set the shutter speed and f number you want for subject motion and DOF and then raise the iso while chimping the preview until blinkies start, then back off to find the highest non-blinkie exposure in the important highlights, raise that 1/3 or 2/3 stops if you want to get right up to the right edge, or just leave it there. If the iso is out of control see if the f number or shutter speed have anything to compromise. You have to be careful with light glinting off the top of the subject as the angles change between the position of the sun, the position and angle of the subject, and the camera position.

I
In a situation in which light level is changing rapidly (BIF and subjects moving in and out of shaded areas), I’ve found Auto ISO is best option to ensure that I get a properly exposed shot without manually trying to find an acceptable ISO.

Also, consider that Matrix metering is not the best choice in all situations. Center weighted or Spot can sometimes ensure that the subject is properly exposed while disregarding other lighting in the frame.
Have tried Auto ISO with the Z9 and found it very inconsistent. Using the control ring set for ISO i find my own adjustment with that much more accurate/consistent then the camera even in the setting you mention.

I also have never had an issue with matrix metering with the Z9. I used to use highlight weighed meter with my D500's and D850, but matrix has been ideal in every situation I've been in. I shoot 4 days a week 100% wildlife and of that 70% birds in flight.

Spot meter is only good for low contrast subjects. It's horrible for things like Bald Eagles. Spot metering meters of the AF point, not the center of the frame. So I'd you have the AF point go back and forth from the white head to the dark body you sent will lighten and darken like crazy screwing your exposure up. It would be fine if you subject is consistent in it's brightness like a great of fox, but again, i have zero issues with matrix in and situation since I'm in full control of my exposure

One could get fine results without using a meter at all. Just set the shutter speed and f number you want for subject motion and DOF and then raise the iso while chimping the preview until blinkies start, then back off to find the highest non-blinkie exposure in the important highlights, raise that 1/3 or 2/3 stops if you want to get right up to the right edge, or just leave it there. If the iso is out of control see if the f number or shutter speed have anything to compromise. You have to be careful with light glinting off the top of the subject as the angles change between the position of the sun, the position and angle of the subject, and the camera position.
That's why i have real time blinkies in stills with my Z9. It's literally impossible to blow and highlights with the Z9

Got me curious because my Canon only uses the center for spot metering. Here's what the z9 manual says:

The camera meters a circle with a diameter of 4 mm/0.16 in. (equivalent to approximately 1.5% of the frame). This ensures that the subject will be correctly exposed even when the background is much brighter or darker.
The metered area is centered on the current focus point. If [Auto-area AF] is selected for AF-area mode (AF-Area Mode), the camera will instead meter the center focus point.

More or less but remember it’s not just the main subject but the tone of the overall scene. This can really confuse folks with something like a white bird small in the frame with a dark background taking up much of the frame. It’s a white bird but if most of the scene is dark you’d want negative exposure comp to keep the scene dark but at the same time keep the white bird from blowing out.

IOW, yes add light to keep a bright scene bright(positive exposure comp), take away light to keep a dark scene dark (negative exposure comp) but consider the whole scene and what’s influencing the meter not just the main subject unless it fills the frame or you’re spot metering on a small portion of it.
Thank you - sometimes I get too analytical!😱

Got me curious because my Canon only uses the center for spot metering. Here's what the z9 manual says:

The camera meters a circle with a diameter of 4 mm/0.16 in. (equivalent to approximately 1.5% of the frame). This ensures that the subject will be correctly exposed even when the background is much brighter or darker.
The metered area is centered on the current focus point. If [Auto-area AF] is selected for AF-area mode (AF-Area Mode), the camera will instead meter the center focus point.
The spot meter follows the AF box. It has since 3.0 or 3.01.

You can try it, it's easy to see.

No hack just a custom picture control

That's what I meant. Not built into the camera as shipped, but not difficult to download and install? Then I believe the clipped areas show up as black in the viewfinder, correct?

Last edited:
I Have tried Auto ISO with the Z9 and found it very inconsistent. Using the control ring set for ISO i find my own adjustment with that much more accurate/consistent then the camera even in the setting you mention.
This hasn’t been my experience at all. I find Auto ISO often works well. It’s one less thing I have to be concerned about when following the action.

As the old saying goes, “To each, his own.”

Back