Blue-crowned parakeets

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Irap

Supporting Member
Marketplace
This was the first time I've seen these Blue-crowned Parakeets down here. Like many other parrots and exotic animals, that were most likely escapees form outdoor aviaries and cages, released by hurricanes and have been breeding through the years and now are residents of South Florida. There were four of them in a Live Oak Tree in Wellington Florida, taken this morning. They are roughly the same size as a Quaker Parrot.

Blue-crowned parakeet_.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Blue-crowned parakeet.jpg

Blue-crowned parakeet -2.jpg

Last edited:
This was the first time I've seen these Blue-crowned Parakeets down here. Like many other parrots and exotic animals, that were most likely escapees form outdoor aviaries and cages, released by hurricanes and have been breeding through the years and now are residents of South Florida. There were four of them in a Live Oak Tree in Wellington Florida, taken this morning. They are roughly the same size as a Quaker Parrot.

View attachment 65340

View attachment 65341

View attachment 65342
Ira, such wonderful photos you got! I was there on the same birds as you were...did you see me? I think I caught this one on another branch. They were eating the galls on the oaks, or rather, eating the larvae that make the galls on the oaks. That powerful beak can very economically break open the galls and get at the yummy buggies inisde, and I don't think any of our native resident birds are equipped to do that. I'm going to have to watch our Cardinals more closely, but I don't think I've ever seen one work on galls the way these parrots can. I suppose there may be a season when the larvae are living in the galls, or there may be galls with larvae year round, which would make for a reliable food source for this species. I was told that they are now the most numerous parrot species in Broward County; I don't know personally. I imagine these guys are the vanguard moving up from Broward, and the Blue crowned will get just as well established in Palm Beach county.

Ira, such wonderful photos you got! I was there on the same birds as you were...did you see me? I think I caught this one on another branch. They were eating the galls on the oaks, or rather, eating the larvae that make the galls on the oaks. That powerful beak can very economically break open the galls and get at the yummy buggies inisde, and I don't think any of our native resident birds are equipped to do that. I'm going to have to watch our Cardinals more closely, but I don't think I've ever seen one work on galls the way these parrots can. I suppose there may be a season when the larvae are living in the galls, or there may be galls with larvae year round, which would make for a reliable food source for this species. I was told that they are now the most numerous parrot species in Broward County; I don't know personally. I imagine these guys are the vanguard moving up from Broward, and the Blue crowned will get just as well established in Palm Beach county.
I’m not sure if I saw you there, I was with a friend Larry. The birds were flying back and forth across the lake, landing in larger Live Oaks. Yes they were going after the galls. You could see it in my last photo. They stay on the tree for a while and it is easy to get some good shots. Thanks for the nice comments Scaupus.

Back