Blue Cypress Lake - trip planning advice requested

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Looking for advice on how to plan a trip to Blue Cypress Lake to photograph Ospreys and Spoonbills. Do I HAVE to join a professionally managed tour (they all sound very expensive !) or can one do this on one's own? Any advice regarding planning, arrangements, gear, timings etc would be very helpful.

Looking for advice on how to plan a trip to Blue Cypress Lake to photograph Ospreys and Spoonbills. Do I HAVE to join a professionally managed tour (they all sound very expensive !) or can one do this on one's own? Any advice regarding planning, arrangements, gear, timings etc would be very helpful.
Hi.
You don’t need a tour, unless you need the training or guidance for best practice.

You can rent the same captin assuming he is available and have the boat to yourself.

He does sunrise or later afternoon.

I did both. Sunrise the pantoon boat on the lake visited all the hundreds of osprey nests, some eagles nest, etc.

afternoon I took the airboat to photograph diving Ospreys and spoonbills. Plus some other nice birds.

To get to the Ospreys and spoonbills you will have to specify that, and rent the airboat, because that’s the only way to get to the good places.

The captin is amazing in getting you to the best possible spot. He also helped me by calling out arriving ospreys.

Good luck and enjoy!

Call him.
IMG_8686.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back