Blue-Spotted Ribbontail Ray

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JAS

Supporting Member
Marketplace
These are the most common rays I have seen in the Red Sea. They are smaller (up to 90cm/3ft) and tend to hide in the sand. This is a smaller one - maybe 60cm/2ft.
If you are careful they can be approached for closer shots using your zoom. Note that even a small distance difference affects the color absorption by the water.
Both shots using Nikon1 J3, WP-N2 housing, Sola 1200 Photo Dive Light, 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 lens at 30cm for closeup shot and 10cm for wide angle shot. LrC.

BlueSpottedRay.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

BlueSpottedRay-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Wonderful, Joe! For a moment there I thought - the colours - it was that highy poisonous octopus from Oz waters, can't remember the name!

Reactions: JAS
Nice shots Joe, as Kathy said it's good to see these photos. It's something I've never tried, one reason is that my nearest sea is the North Sea and one can't see more than about 6 inches in that murky water!!

Back