Bluejay in dive mode:

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Bohdan

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Bluejays in dive mode are so fascinating. My yard just before noon Thunder Bay
Jay Dive Z6 2334.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Jay dive Z6 5.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Truly outstanding images! I never knew how beautiful the maligned blue jay truly is......until I saw an image of one flying! Lovely shots! But I would take out the "moon". Does this happen often with the Plena?

Stunning images. They are noisy as well as beautiful. We can always tell when they’re in the trees. They announce their presence and the smaller birds vacate the suet cake… Well done!

Truly outstanding images! I never knew how beautiful the maligned blue jay truly is......until I saw an image of one flying! Lovely shots! But I would take out the "moon". Does this happen often with the Plena?
Yes, you have to examine the bokeh on shots captured wide open or nearly so. Often it’s beautiful but occasionally there are distractions. Still, I love that lens!

Thanks very much Karen. I'm assuming you find the moon too distracting. This only happens with the Plena when there is something round and lighter coloured in the background
Stunning images. They are noisy as well as beautiful. We can always tell when they’re in the trees. They announce their presence and the smaller birds vacate the suet cake… Well done!
Thanks Larry. The feeding hierarchy around our place is the small red squirrels are at the top of the change
Wow, great shots, and wonderful example of the Plena's capabilities for bird photography. Did you have to crop much, or were you that close to the Blue Jay?

Well done!
thanks Carmel. I was around 15 ft away.

Yeah.....the eye goes to the brightest part of the frame......so I first see the bird and then the "moon" pulls my eye away from the bird. It's a fantastic image of the bird - and one I'm envious of! ;) . You consistently produce very high quality images!
Good feedback Karen. I guess I was too focused on the bird so didn't mind the moon - thought it created atmosphere . I'll have to reprocess without the moon, and see which one I prefer. Thanks again Karen. You are very kind to comment on the quality of my images. I have to give credit to forum members, such yourself , as one of the major influences to any progress that I have made in my photographic journey. Critical feedback creates learning, adjustments are made, skills improve. When you are colour blind in one eye and blind in the other, every little comment helps. Other names that come to mine are Randy; Louis; Keith ; and so many others. Thank you

Last edited:
Good feedback Karen. I guess I was too focused on the bird so didn't mind the moon - thought it created atmosphere . I'll have to reprocess without the moon, and see which one I prefer. Thanks again Karen.
It is YOUR image, Bob! Play with it and decide on how YOU like it best! I just benefit from all the excellent images you share with us!

It is YOUR image, Bob! Play with it and decide on how YOU like it best! I just benefit from all the excellent images you share with us!
I'm very happy to know that others like my images. The intention was to display the beauty of our birds. If that comes through and is appreciated then I'm thankful. Keeps me going.

I'd say the only bit of this that is specific to using the Plena is that the bokeh ball is nearer to round than cat eyed in shape LOL

Nice shot! (You should post such beauties in the Presentation forum, me thinks.)
thanks a lot
Excellent captures and with the 135 Plena to boot!
thanks Lance
I love these shots!
I'm glad that you do Mickey
looks like the jays are enjoying the cooler weather...nice shots, love that first one...who needs a z9 when the 6III does this well,

no hawk today?
Actually there was a fly by as I walked out the back. Not the same hawk as the other day, this was much larger and brownish colour - startled me as it flew towards the tree line

Back