bluetooth pairing: is it really possible with the Z8?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I am at a loss. Is it really possible to do Bluetooth pairing with the Nikon z8? I usually get to a step that says "Operate the smart device following the instructions in the app." What app? Assuming it's Snapbridge, I don't get any instructions. It doesn't seem to do anything. I did this all the time with my Coolpix using the WMU app but apparently it won't work for the Z8, although it still works for the Coolpix... What am I doing wrong? If anyone has a YouTube or something showing step by step how to connect my z8 to my device, it would be a huge help. There seem to be two different sections in the Z8 manual dealing with this, yet, there doesn't seem to be the crucial piece of information I need to actually connect. If I just go into my phone's Bluetooth to pair the way I pair with everything else, it does find the device but always returns a "Couldn't connect new device" message telling me to make sure the device is on and in BLuetooth pairing mode. It is on and Pairing Bluetooth in the network menu says ON so... I'm at a standstill to know where to go to figure this out.

Download the SnapBridge app to your mobile device. Select Connect to Camera (click the camera icon on the left), and follow the instructions. Be patient, pairing with the camera rarely completes successfully the first time. Nikon has not covered itself in glory given the finicky nature off the SnapBridge app. I rarely use it anymore.

Perhaps Nikon Imaging Cloud will work better. I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited:
You’ll need Snapbridge. I use it with my Z8 an Zf all the time. Download that before you start. If you paired it already somehow go to your phones and Z8’s Bluetooth settings, forget those pairings, start fresh.

Snapbridge can be finicky so I would choose one device you want to pair to and not multiple, I’ve had most of my issues with the app from pairing to more than one iOS device and they seem to fight over the camera connection.

Set your Z8 to longer standby times, it’s annoying if it’s trying to shut off through the process. That’s in C3 Menus/Standby timer, just set it to like 5/10 minutes for the setup.

Network Menu is next,
Make sure Airplane mode is OFF
Connect to Smart Device, Pairing, start pairing, It‘ll show a Pairing (Bluetooth) message to start the app. Now go to Snapbridge.
*make sure your USB data connection is MTP/PTP, if you were using a USB cable and it’s set to iphone it’ll ghost all the wireless settings.
Open Snapbridge and use the upper right gear icon to locate add camera, select your Z8 and follow the directions. Don’t forget when you get to the number code to pair to select OK on the phone AND the camera or it’ll timeout.
After that you should have a Z8 paired in the snapbridge app, set auto link if you want but it’ll eat battery, I usually leave it off. Snapbridge will look for the Z8 and Bluetooth connect so you can open the app and select download pictures, that‘ll establish a wi-fi connection. You can download full size RAW (slow) or smaller 2mp or 8mp JPEG, or Original JPEG or HEIF files your choice.
You can use it as a remote for the camera as well.
I set my Z8 to airplane mode when not actively using Snapbridge to preserve battery.

Things I’ve noticed that screw up the connection
-Phone being far away and Bluetooth connection with auto-link breaks down, auto link is finicky. I only use this deliberately as it’ll fill up your iPhoto’s library real quick.
-Pairing more than one thing to the Camera
-Standby timers set really short sometimes seem to cut off the connection process, set them longer if needed.

*** Add airplane mode to my menu and standby timers for quick access as needed.

If it all goes haywire just delete the connections from the Z8 under Connect to Smart Device/Pairing/Paired devices and then Forget the paired device in your IOS/Andriod Bluetooth connections and start over. This only happens to me when I try to pair my iphone and ipad and they seem to conflict trying to both connect at once.

Hope that helps.

*One last time is use the rating system in the camera (add one star) to tag the photo’s you actually want to download. I screen mine on the back LCD on the Z8 and flag them with a star. Then when you select download in snapbridge, center top is “Display Options” and bottom of that menu is “rated images”, turn that on. Now you can ONLY see the starred images in download options, select all from those or hand pick and download. That’ll save you a ton of time if you’re just needing select RAW files to download or JPEG/HEIF full size images.

I use lightroom mobile all the time to edit RAW files so that’s my typical process to download them.

I use NXMobileair (a paid app), a separate app to USB download large amounts of RAW files from my iphone (which are put in a folder for my icloud) then that is uploaded for backup And later download for processing on my home mac for use with lightroom if i need AI denoise which isn’t included on lightroom mobile yet. I’ll download those on my faster home connections, edit the RAW’s and dispose of the bulk files keeping only the selects. That’s how I backup when I’m on travel. I don’t use card readers much.

Last edited:
Later: nope, I just can't make it work although I did get another step forward so that Snapbridge says it's paired, but the camera and phone still don't communicate. How about an alternative question? Is there a different way to send an image wirelessly to my phone such as a third-party app... I do have a card reader to get the pix off the camera when I'm in front of the computer but I'm frustrated that I can't send just one or two pictures to my phone for emailing or social media from the field. Feels like it shouldn't be this hard?

Later: nope, I just can't make it work although I did get another step forward so that Snapbridge says it's paired, but the camera and phone still don't communicate.
Keep trying. I paired my Z6III today for the first time and it took four attempts before success. After each attempt be certain that you’ve cleared the camera from the mobile device ‘s list of Bluetooth connections and the mobile device from the connected devices on the camera. I agree, it shouldn’t be this hard, but it is.

I also connected the camera using Nikon Imaging Cloud. It’s a much easier connection but currently only the Z6III is supported. Other cameras will be supported with future firmware updates.

Last edited:
Keep trying. I paired my Z6III today for the first time and it took four attempts before success. After each attempt be certain that you’ve cleared the camera from the mobile device ‘s list of Bluetooth connections and the mobile device from the connected devices on the camera. I agree, it shouldn’t be this hard, but it is.

I also connected the camera using Nikon Image Cloud. It’s a much easier connection but currently only the Z6III is supported. Other cameras will be supported with future firmware updates.

I think I was getting frustrated but I'll try again tomorrow.

I also connected the camera using Nikon Image Cloud. It’s a much easier connection but currently only the Z6III is supported.
Curious to know when you connected via your phone or tablet what service or app did you connect to? Possibly getting a Z6iii in the near future and their Imaging Cloud is still a bit of a mystery to me.

And to the OP, I am assuming that you are just trying to send a 2MP copy of the selected files to your phone via BT? I got my Z6 to do that, and it took some time, but I have not used it recently.

--Ken

And to the OP, I am assuming that you are just trying to send a 2MP copy of the selected files to your phone via BT? I got my Z6 to do that, and it took some time, but I have not used it recently.

--Ken
Yes, I just like to send one or two images a day to my phone to post online and also to send to back home. I know, "just make a phone photo while I'm standing there," and I may have to go back to doing that, but I'd rather share photos of the birds we're seeing.

Curious to know when you connected via your phone or tablet what service or app did you connect to? Possibly getting a Z6iii in the near future and their Imaging Cloud is still a bit of a mystery to me.
I connected to Nikon Image Space and to Lightroom. Imaging Cloud is a bit of a mystery to me, too. I thought there would be a few picture controls available for download but there were none, or I couldn’t find them. I think Imaging Cloud is very much a work in progress.

What type of phone are you using. The directions I wrote were using an iPhone 14. I actually deleted the connections first to make sure it worked in those steps and it paired no problem.

Make sure the Bluetooth pairings on the phone and the camera are cleared first or it will fail over and over.

I start the pairing on the Camera first so it’s ready, then start the process in the app. The camera doesn’t actually pair, it just gets the Bluetooth activated and sends the pairing signal, which you complete in the app. I have not tried it by starting the process with the app, always camera ready then app.

If you’re using android maybe a different set of instructions works for those.

I connected to Nikon Image Space and to Lightroom. Imaging Cloud is a bit of a mystery to me, too. I thought there would be a few picture controls available for download but there were none, or I couldn’t find them. I think Imaging Cloud is very much a work in progress.
It seems to be a work in progress, but the potential is huge if they can get it right. Everyone is used to iCloud/iphoto level refinement where it just works seamlessly so that’s the bar they need to get as close to meeting as possible.

I use NXmobileair for the heavy lifts of hundreds or thousands of files and can pull them from the camera via USB, because it would take the rest of my lifetime to transfer 3000-5000 images in a go via snapbridge. Once theyre on my iphone or ipad i can then drop them in an iCloud folder and let that upload while i sleep or I can plug in a tiny SSD HD and transfer everything over to that for editing later. I figure this cuts down hundreds of repetitions of pulling cards in and out of the camera over the years.

I also use my SD card or MicroSD on the Zf as my 1 TB storage backup on long trips and shoot to my fast card then copy the days shots over to the 1 TB micro sd like a storage hard drive. That way it doesn’t bog down the camera shooting 20 FPS and trying to copy to the SD at the same time, or the slower micro SD on the Zf. Ive never had a card fail ever in camera so I’m pretty comfortable working with one SD card and using one as a holding card.

I connect my iPhone to my Z8 and Z6ii by establishing a Wi-Fi connection in the camera. Then, connect to the camera Wi-Fi. And, use SnapBridge to transfer images from the camera to the iPhone.

I connect my iPhone to my Z8 and Z6ii by establishing a Wi-Fi connection in the camera. Then, connect to the camera Wi-Fi. And, use SnapBridge to transfer images from the camera to the iPhone.
Thats another good way to try if the Bluetooth isn’t having it.

You can also transfer via a usb cable direct to the phone with nxmobileair but that app is not free, but it’s fast and the cable doesn’t take up a lot of space. You can FTP to cloud storage with that as well, or skip all that and just send a folder into iCloud or send them into iPhoto that way as well and avoid even using snapbridge.

Back