Borneo Safari

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Has anyone been to Borneo? I am going in September, and want to figure out how much time I should spend there, where to go, and what to bring (one camera and one or two lenses)....my time in SE Asia is limited, so hoping I can get some guidance! Thanks in advance to those who respond!

Has anyone been to Borneo? I am going in September, and want to figure out how much time I should spend there, where to go, and what to bring (one camera and one or two lenses)....my time in SE Asia is limited, so hoping I can get some guidance! Thanks in advance to those who respond!
Wow that is quite a question! You are going by yourself? Borneo (the third largest island in the world) has parts in three countries (Indonesia and Malaysia, also Brunei though generally one doesn't go there for wildlife photography). And depending on what you are trying to see, could spend a considerable amount of time there. I went for the primates and the highlight of my trip was to see a tarsier (one of my hoped for targets). The orangutans and proboscis monkeys are amazing too. Some people go for the cats and there are several quite rare ones (including the clouded leopard) which potentially could take weeks to find. Going up and down the rivers and seeing the various wildlife (including the pygmy elephants) was another highlight of our trip. So a lot depends on your goals. I for sure would bring two camera bodies (in case one failed) and multiple lenses, including a macro for the insects. I would suggest looking at the itineraries of different groups that go there and seeing what most appeals to you. Not sure I would do a really short trip there (a few days), but would suggest trying if at all possible to spend a minimum of a week and possibly two if you can do it. Some photos with the lenses and focal lengths from my trip are in my Flickr album if interested:

I lived in the Indonesian part of Borneo for just over two years. Most of my time was spent up the Mahakam River, then I moved to the Baritto River, the project was a fair way up the Laugn River. Since leaving in 1998 due to the economic crisis many things have changed. Jakarta is sinking because water is being taken out of the ground. The new capital is planned to be near Samarinda in Kalimantan Timor. This has already resulted in some ecological problems. What you choose to do is up to you. I would not return unless I could hitch a lift in the Tardis and go back in 1900.

Wow that is quite a question! You are going by yourself? Borneo (the third largest island in the world) has parts in three countries (Indonesia and Malaysia, also Brunei though generally one doesn't go there for wildlife photography). And depending on what you are trying to see, could spend a considerable amount of time there. I went for the primates and the highlight of my trip was to see a tarsier (one of my hoped for targets). The orangutans and proboscis monkeys are amazing too. Some people go for the cats and there are several quite rare ones (including the clouded leopard) which potentially could take weeks to find. Going up and down the rivers and seeing the various wildlife (including the pygmy elephants) was another highlight of our trip. So a lot depends on your goals. I for sure would bring two camera bodies (in case one failed) and multiple lenses, including a macro for the insects. I would suggest looking at the itineraries of different groups that go there and seeing what most appeals to you. Not sure I would do a really short trip there (a few days), but would suggest trying if at all possible to spend a minimum of a week and possibly two if you can do it. Some photos with the lenses and focal lengths from my trip are in my Flickr album if interested:
Thank you for your response. Very nice photos! Unfortunately (or fortunately) I am going with my niece, who is not into photography nor too much wildlife. The plan is 3 or 4 days in Borneo, a couple days in Cambodia and finally a few days in Vietnam. I was looking for the best wildlife experience and chance to see the most wildlife. Thinking about Borneo Rainforest Lodge. But thought I would check here before I book!

I lived in the Indonesian part of Borneo for just over two years. Most of my time was spent up the Mahakam River, then I moved to the Baritto River, the project was a fair way up the Laugn River. Since leaving in 1998 due to the economic crisis many things have changed. Jakarta is sinking because water is being taken out of the ground. The new capital is planned to be near Samarinda in Kalimantan Timor. This has already resulted in some ecological problems. What you choose to do is up to you. I would not return unless I could hitch a lift in the Tardis and go back in 1900.
Hopefully things have changed and locals get more of the income!

Thank you for your response. Very nice photos! Unfortunately (or fortunately) I am going with my niece, who is not into photography nor too much wildlife. The plan is 3 or 4 days in Borneo, a couple days in Cambodia and finally a few days in Vietnam. I was looking for the best wildlife experience and chance to see the most wildlife. Thinking about Borneo Rainforest Lodge. But thought I would check here before I book!
Thanks for your kind comments on the photos. We also went to Danum Valley, maybe even the Borneo Rainforest Lodge. It looks great! Four nights there would be fun! Have a great time.

Back