Botswana bound

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

So after a wait of almost 2 years ,due to covid ,I,m off to Botswana in 2 weeks , a mobile tented photographic safari lasting 2 weeks ,gear i am thinking of taking ,bodies d500 &z6ii, lenses 500 mm pf ,300 mm pf , nikon 80 400mm and a 16 120 mm ,,the plan is to keep the 80 400 on the z6ii all the while ,to reduce dust problems ,and alternate the 500 & 300 pf's as situations dictate , taking loads of batteries ,powerbanks ,and numerous sd / cf express cards ,anyone done a similar trip who can point out any tips that might help ?

I did two safaris in South Africa, both with two DX bodies. Had my 70-200mm F/4 on one body, the 200-500mm F/5.6 on the other body, and the 16-80mm as a floating lens for close subjects. I used the 200-500mm and 70-200mm lenses about equally, each being responsible for probably 45% of images. The 16-80mm accounted for the remaining 10%.

With your kit I wonder whether there will be much benefit in taking the 300mm since most of its focal range is already covered by the other two long lenses.

I did two safaris in South Africa, both with two DX bodies. Had my 70-200mm F/4 on one body, the 200-500mm F/5.6 on the other body, and the 16-80mm as a floating lens for close subjects. I used the 200-500mm and 70-200mm lenses about equally, each being responsible for probably 45% of images. The 16-80mm accounted for the remaining 10%.

With your kit I wonder whether there will be much benefit in taking the 300mm since most of its focal range is already covered by the other two long lenses.
Fair point ,it would make sense to maybe leave the 300 pf at home ,lighten the load a little thanks

So after a wait of almost 2 years ,due to covid ,I,m off to Botswana in 2 weeks , a mobile tented photographic safari lasting 2 weeks ,gear i am thinking of taking ,bodies d500 &z6ii, lenses 500 mm pf ,300 mm pf , nikon 80 400mm and a 16 120 mm ,,the plan is to keep the 80 400 on the z6ii all the while ,to reduce dust problems ,and alternate the 500 & 300 pf's as situations dictate , taking loads of batteries ,powerbanks ,and numerous sd / cf express cards ,anyone done a similar trip who can point out any tips that might help ?
On my Botswana trips, I used 600mm a lot.D500 + 500 PF will definitely help. I used an extender on my 600 about 2/3 the time. But that is my style of shooting and the areas I visited

On my Botswana trips, I used 600mm a lot.D500 + 500 PF will definitely help. I used an extender on my 600 about 2/3 the time. But that is my style of shooting and the areas I visited
Which areas did you visit ? I,m doing 4nts in Moremi ,then 4nts Khwai then 4 nts Chobe,my plan at the moment is to keep the 80 400mm on the z6ii, to avoid picking up dust on the sensor ,and use the d500 with either the 500 pf or the 300 pf ,depending on how close I get to the wildlife

Last edited:
I have done numerous trips to Botswana and have been to all of the areas you are visiting, my most recent trip was to Chobe in October 21,
Agree with Koos that the 300pf is not necessary as you have this covered with the 80-400,
Suggest that you take a 1.4 TC to use with the 500pf when additional range is required.
There could also be opportunities for capturing the night sky in Moremi and Khwai where there is far less light pollution than in Chobe [which is in close proximity to the town of Kasane].
Your 16-120 lens will be useful for both the night and wider scenic shots.
Take many memory cards because you run out of time to download your photos due to being on both morning and afternoon/evening game drives and other activities.
Extra batteries, power banks etc. are essential, as is a fast card reader.
Dust can be a problem in these areas, [however you may have less dust now as this period is at the end of Botswana's rain season].
I suggest you always have your lens covers on when not shooting, and, I usually cover the camera and lens I am not currently using in my bag, or covered with a light towel for protection but rapidly accessible if required.
If you do need to change a lens, then do this after asking your guide to stop the vehicle for a moment ,allow the dust to settle, and then do the change. Also clean /wipe down your gear regularly when you return to your campsite.
Hope this helps and enjoy the trip!
Regards,
Gavin

I have done numerous trips to Botswana and have been to all of the areas you are visiting, my most recent trip was to Chobe in October 21,
Agree with Koos that the 300pf is not necessary as you have this covered with the 80-400,
Suggest that you take a 1.4 TC to use with the 500pf when additional range is required.
There could also be opportunities for capturing the night sky in Moremi and Khwai where there is far less light pollution than in Chobe [which is in close proximity to the town of Kasane].
Your 16-120 lens will be useful for both the night and wider scenic shots.
Take many memory cards because you run out of time to download your photos due to being on both morning and afternoon/evening game drives and other activities.
Extra batteries, power banks etc. are essential, as is a fast card reader.
Dust can be a problem in these areas, [however you may have less dust now as this period is at the end of Botswana's rain season].
I suggest you always have your lens covers on when not shooting, and, I usually cover the camera and lens I am not currently using in my bag, or covered with a light towel for protection but rapidly accessible if required.
If you do need to change a lens, then do this after asking your guide to stop the vehicle for a moment ,allow the dust to settle, and then do the change. Also clean /wipe down your gear regularly when you return to your campsite.
Hope this helps and enjoy the trip!
Regards,
Gavin
Thanks for the tips ,1.4 tc sorted ,loads of batteries, powerbanks ,I,m away from mains electricity for almost 2 weeks ,sd cards / cf express all sorted ,regarding the dust i have bought some large cotton drawstring bags to keep my lenses / bodies in ,like the tip about asking the guide to stop when changing lenses ,that makes a lot of sense, just wondering if I leave the 300 pf at home i would then have room for a tamron 70 210 f4 which might come in handy

Last edited:
Back