Botswana focal lengths

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My wife and I are signed up with Pangolin to go on their Chobe, Delta, and Kalahari trip next August. I have a Z8 and plan to pair it up with my 180-600 (and 1.4TC when necessary) and use a Z7 with a 24-120Z second body. My question is about switching out the 180-600 for a 400/4.5 S and getting to ~600 with the TC.

For those who’ve done this or a similar safari, what focal lengths did you find comprised the bulk of your images?

I realize I’ll be on a mount most of the time, but if/when I need to handhold the weigh difference is attractive. From Steve’s sharpness comparison video, I see that the sharpness delta between the two is not enough to be a deal breaker for me.

My bigger concern is missing some closer shots that the 180-600 zoom would enable because I’m using a fixed focal length prime and don’t have the ability to zoom out or in, as required.

This is my first photo safari, so I’m really grateful for your suggestions and constructive criticisms.

Back