If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Back in 2022 I spent a couple of weeks travelling across Botswana as part of a small group safari and I've just got around to sorting out the photos. I'd recently got Nikon 400mm f2.8 TC too so it was a wonderful trip to get to use that for some great subjects. Here's a few from the trip. Botswana was a lovely country and we had a great time, though I think it did make me realise that I have a preference for staying in nice lodges rather than little tents!

If anyone wants to see more from the trip then they're all up on my website at philwaring.co.uk. Thanks for looking!

_DSC9921.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

_DSC8277.jpg

_DSC9280.jpg

_DSC1099.jpg

_DSC5587.jpg

_DSC9576.jpg

_DSC8346.jpg

_DSC1324.jpg

Thanks,
Phil

Superb set of images! I especially like # 2 and 3 but they are all very nicely done!

You have a wonderful variety of quality images on your website!

Fabulous series of images. Well done. I particularly like the second one of the hunting dog, most likely because it's still very much on my hit list as I haven't managed to see one in the wild.

We did have a pretty crazy experience with hyena on this trip (even if they weren't flying). We'd heard them in the distance one night and our guides had a pretty good idea of where they would be. We managed to find 2 clans that were trying to get their share of a pretty freshly killed buffalo. Only our 2 vehicles found them. There were over 40 hyena and the noise was crazy. One group would run in and scare the others off and then get to eat for a bit. Then the others would progressively get closer, swarming around our vehicle towards the buffalo and then they'd charge in and see the others off. It didn't give me my best photos of the trip (though I did grab a few I like a lot) but it was far and away the best behaviour we saw. Our guides had both been leading safaris for well over 20 years each and they were absolutely giddy with it all (taking videos and photos on their phones for the only time during the trip) as it was their best ever hyena interaction.

Superb set of images! I especially like # 2 and 3 but they are all very nicely done!

You have a wonderful variety of quality images on your website!
Thank you for the lovely compliment! I keep trying to go to different places and see if I can get nice photos. I was actually a little disappointed after Botswana. Partly because I thought I hadn't bagged anything I'd love (I was wrong) and partly because it ended up feeling like a very different trip to what I had envisioned. Looking back though and having edited everything, I see it quite differently now. Aside from the hole for a toilet :D

Fabulous series of images. Well done. I particularly like the second one of the hunting dog, most likely because it's still very much on my hit list as I haven't managed to see one in the wild.
I've had my fair share of bad luck with some animals but I have to say that I've been very lucky with the wild dogs. We saw them in South Africa on our 2nd safari and we understood that it was a big deal due to the speed with which we were driven to them. They weren't really in a great photo op but it was wonderful to see them. Then this trip to Botswana was our 3rd safari and we saw them just this one time in Savuti. We got them running down a dusty track towards us and then they cut out onto the shorter grassland and we got ahead of them for some of the landscape photos.

I do vividly remember that when they were running towards us (like the jumping one here) that I had hit the button to turn off animal detection on my camera and I was not best pleased with myself and some of the missed shots. Thankfully I had good photos and it didn't cause me too much pain! I hope you get to see them next time you're out in their neck of the woods!

Back in 2022 I spent a couple of weeks travelling across Botswana as part of a small group safari and I've just got around to sorting out the photos. I'd recently got Nikon 400mm f2.8 TC too so it was a wonderful trip to get to use that for some great subjects. Here's a few from the trip. Botswana was a lovely country and we had a great time, though I think it did make me realise that I have a preference for staying in nice lodges rather than little tents!

If anyone wants to see more from the trip then they're all up on my website at philwaring.co.uk. Thanks for looking!

View attachment 80929

View attachment 80931

View attachment 80932

View attachment 80933

View attachment 80934

View attachment 80936

View attachment 80937

View attachment 80938

Thanks,
Phil
Wonderful set of images Phil.
Happy trails.

View attachment 80929

View attachment 80931

View attachment 80932

View attachment 80933

View attachment 80934

View attachment 80936

View attachment 80937

View attachment 80938

Thanks,
Phil
Beautiful photos. I really like no. 2.

Absolutely beautiful set of images!

Beautiful photos. I really like no. 2.

Or just plain African Wild Dog ;)

A wonderful selection Phil. (y)

Excellent set. Looks like you had a wonderful trip.

Great selection. Love the first wild dog image in particular. Botswana is a hidden gemming many respects. Thanks for sharing

Thanks everyone!

I'm really glad that so many people have enjoyed the first wild dog photo. It was quite a difficult set of photos to figure out how to edit. They were running in the dirt tracks and very close to some quite bright and tall grass at the edge, but with a lot of empty space on the other side. I tried a lot of different crops for a few different photos before I got to my final edits. I need to have a go at printing this one and seeing if I like it enough to frame it.

One of my wife's colleagues is on her first safari in Africa at the moment (not a photographer) and just experienced a whole load of wild dogs around them. She knew how rare it was to get that kind of experience but her daughter was none too impressed with "dogs" and wanted to hurry up and get back to the zebras :)

One of my wife's colleagues is on her first safari in Africa at the moment (not a photographer) and just experienced a whole load of wild dogs around them. She knew how rare it was to get that kind of experience but her daughter was none too impressed with "dogs" and wanted to hurry up and get back to the zebras :)
I've come across that exact same reaction to WD, most newbies simply have zero idea on what WD are or there significance and threatened IUCN Red list status.
Now don't get me started on Caracal..........to some, "it's just a yellow cat!" :oops: