Bought myself a printer for Christmas

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Bringing up an older post. I bought a canon pro300 and like it but am wondering if I should of gone wider. The pro1000 seems to guzzle ink from what I’ve read. Was thinking a p900 might be a better option for a 17” printer. Ink is a bit cheaper as well. How do they fair up on a Mac?

Bringing up an older post. I bought a canon pro300 and like it but am wondering if I should of gone wider. The pro1000 seems to guzzle ink from what I’ve read. Was thinking a p900 might be a better option for a 17” printer. Ink is a bit cheaper as well. How do they fair up on a Mac?
All was plug and play easy with my p900 and my Apple computers for several days and many prints produced. Went to print last week and computer failed to recognize the printer -- haven't done much about it (but ***** about it to myself) but a very quick search revealed it's an Apple being assholes problem that is apparently random and fixable by reinstalling the Epson drivers (So I have to do that every time??) -- which again I have not done so not sure that will fix the problem....

All was plug and play easy with my p900 and my Apple computers for several days and many prints produced. Went to print last week and computer failed to recognize the printer -- haven't done much about it (but ***** about it to myself) but a very quick search revealed it's an Apple being assholes problem that is apparently random and fixable by reinstalling the Epson drivers (So I have to do that every time??) -- which again I have not done so not sure that will fix the problem....
I print using an Epson Artisan 1430 and an iMac, and I do sometime have an issue with the computer not automatically reconnecting with this printer after the printer has been off for a while. I also have an Epson 635 and don't encounter this problem with this printer; go figure!

Anyway, if the Artisan 1430 won't connect after a minute or so, I just open Preferences/Printer & Scanners on the iMac, delete and immediately reinstall the printer and away I go. It only takes a few seconds and isn't a complicated process. When printing, I utilize the Epson Print Layout software exclusively, which allows me more latitude in printing over the Artisan 1430 software.

I calibrate my 5k display every so often, but it usually needs very little or no adjustment when I do. I also keep my monitor brightness at 50% or just a little less. I initially found my prints were too dark as a result of setting my monitor brightness too high, and the resultant effect it had upon my photo editing. Overall, using the printer with an iMac is fairly easy and straightforward.

As far as price, I read very recently that most printers employing ink cartridges use ink at a rate so as to cost about $1 per-square-foot. With price increases, that is going up a bit, and I've never tested that claim, but would love to hear anyone with information about it. Even if ink were $2 per-square-foot, it is still inexpensive compared to a print shop: my local pharmacy has a print service and they charge about $15 for a 12-by-18-inch print. If I print it myself, the paper I use is about $2, and ink is about $3 maximum, so without the cost of the printer included, I print for about $5 compared to $15 for the lab. Plus I don't have to drive out to pick up my prints!

I print using an Epson Artisan 1430 and an iMac, and I do sometime have an issue with the computer not automatically reconnecting with this printer after the printer has been off for a while. I also have an Epson 635 and don't encounter this problem with this printer; go figure!

Anyway, if the Artisan 1430 won't connect after a minute or so, I just open Preferences/Printer & Scanners on the iMac, delete and immediately reinstall the printer and away I go. It only takes a few seconds and isn't a complicated process. When printing, I utilize the Epson Print Layout software exclusively, which allows me more latitude in printing over the Artisan 1430 software.

I calibrate my 5k display every so often, but it usually needs very little or no adjustment when I do. I also keep my monitor brightness at 50% or just a little less. I initially found my prints were too dark as a result of setting my monitor brightness too high, and the resultant effect it had upon my photo editing. Overall, using the printer with an iMac is fairly easy and straightforward.

As far as price, I read very recently that most printers employing ink cartridges use ink at a rate so as to cost about $1 per-square-foot. With price increases, that is going up a bit, and I've never tested that claim, but would love to hear anyone with information about it. Even if ink were $2 per-square-foot, it is still inexpensive compared to a print shop: my local pharmacy has a print service and they charge about $15 for a 12-by-18-inch print. If I print it myself, the paper I use is about $2, and ink is about $3 maximum, so without the cost of the printer included, I print for about $5 compared to $15 for the lab. Plus I don't have to drive out to pick up my prints!
Re connecting to my Mac, that didn't work for me, directly, but it did take me down a rabbit hole that did lead to my getting my two technologies to speak to other again :) Thanks!

Re connecting to my Mac, that didn't work for me, directly, but it did take me down a rabbit hole that did lead to my getting my two technologies to speak to other again :) Thanks!
What issue(s) did you have, Steven? And how did you resolve them? I've thought about purchasing a P900, but just can't do it with the other expenses I've recently incurred. If, however, Epson released an Ecotank P900 equivalent printer, it would be difficult to stall that purchase.

Speaking for myself, most of my home prints are sprayed with varnish to make more durable and hung on the wall using 3m command poster strips. A select few will be framed and a few will be sent to print on metal.
Is it just the print, or do you mount it on some type of backing before displaying it?

For casual home display the peel-n-stick foam board from craft stores works well. You position the print before peeling, use some weights to anchor the print and peel half the backing at a time. Hot glue a 1x1 inch sticks top and bottom with holes drilled for mounting so the print stands off the wall. I find it easier to start oversized when mounting then trim all to final dimension rather than trying for perfection on the print matching the board.. A black sharpie on the edges hides errors and the relatively ugly inner core of the board.

For casual home display the peel-n-stick foam board from craft stores works well. You position the print before peeling, use some weights to anchor the print and peel half the backing at a time. Hot glue a 1x1 inch sticks top and bottom with holes drilled for mounting so the print stands off the wall. I find it easier to start oversized when mounting then trim all to final dimension rather than trying for perfection on the print matching the board.. A black sharpie on the edges hides errors and the relatively ugly inner core of the board.
Might have to try that. Cool idea and no frames

For matting/framing using linen tape and conservation quality matboard and backing in a "hinge mount" works well. Stays "archival" since there is no drymount tissue. You need a mat cutter or can buy standard or custom mats on the web.

For matting/framing using linen tape and conservation quality matboard and backing in a "hinge mount" works well. Stays "archival" since there is no drymount tissue. You need a mat cutter or can buy standard or custom mats on the web.

Bill, what max size can you print? Printer? I may have missed you mentioning it. I have to decide quick if I want bigger that 13x19.

I haven’t used any backing on mine. I might have to learn how to do that but mostly I rotate photos out every once in awhile and stick the rest in a box.
I’m using 305 GM and 340 GM papers
I'm doing the same in my office, except without coating the photo. It's a lot easier to transport a rolled up 13x38 print than one on backing board!

I haven’t used any backing on mine. I might have to learn how to do that but mostly I rotate photos out every once in awhile and stick the rest in a box.
I’m using 305 GM and 340 GM papers
Just got some of that paper you recommended. Great stuff, I just got the letter size to play with. I think I’m going to return the pro 300 and go with the pro1000

I'm going to have to try the foamcore dodge. I usually hinge mount to a mat board.

My Epson P800 works fine on my Macs. I do at times wish I'd gotten something wider than 17", but wasn't ready to take that $$$ leap. As far as software for printing is concerned, my impression is that in contrast with much of the rest of the world, Apple is really the default for photographic work, and you're more likely to find software that runs on Macs and not PCs than the other way around.

That’s a great idea👍 Pro300 is so good it makes me want the pro1000😎
Pretty sure I’m going to head out today and grab the pro1000. I hope it’s as easy as the pro 300 to set up and use. I did run into a hiccup with the Mac. It always wanted to use apple air print and that seemed to limit what the drivers wanted to do. I got it worked out eventually. I’m also playing with Q image one and really like it

A light coat of varnish makes it much more durable
Yes, but I haven't gotten around to getting some since I started printing again. The old can I have is now a dud; there's stuff in there but either no propellant or the line is clogged beyond remedy. It's at least four years old, so I wouldn't trust it anyway. Since my office has no sunlight, it's not as big a thing for me right now.

Yes, but I haven't gotten around to getting some since I started printing again. The old can I have is now a dud; there's stuff in there but either no propellant or the line is clogged beyond remedy. It's at least four years old, so I wouldn't trust it anyway. Since my office has no sunlight, it's not as big a thing for me right now.
What type or brand of varnish? My wife uses an acrylic spray for her painting artwork but not sure that would work well

maybe we should start a everything about printing thread?

Steven - not sure if this is related to your issue or not. I have an Epson P800 (which I love) connected to my PC via Wifi. I find that sometimes if there is an interruption in the Wifi signal, the computer will no longer recognize the printer. Only happens once in a great while when my internet service drops. The solution for me has been to power down both the printer and the PC. Wait a moment, then power everything back up. Everything reboots and all is well again.

Bill, what max size can you print? Printer? I may have missed you mentioning it. I have to decide quick if I want bigger that 13x19.

No, I send out to print, but print quite a bit, usually fine art prints on Hahnemuhle paper. I'm just following the topic. I use Bay Photo, White House, Digital Silver Imaging. DSI is Hahnemuhle and Canson certified.

Sorry not trying to harp on it, but the varnish will help prevent scratches etc…
Since I don’t put them behind glass it’s nice that way

So correct me, but I believe printers that use pigment inks on fine art papers are not going to need coatings for UV protection the way a dye based printer would. I guess I'm assuming most printers in this class are pigment inks.

Congrats on the purchase, and glad you brought up this topic. I would love to know - how are you mounting and displaying the prints you make? I've never really printed at home because it's expensive to take the print to a frame store and have them mount it and frame it. I used to have prints mounted on gatorboard at the lab to make framing easier, but that's not something I can do at home. So I've never really known what to do with a print I made myself. I'd love to hear what others do.
I occasionally go to church auctions or second hand stores and purchase old frames paying $1 to $5 for them. Carefully cut out the old painting or photo and insert mine. I often will throw away the glass (have you ever seen a museum use glass?). The glass adds glare.
When you get tired of the photo, just replace it with something else.
I’ve now invested in a matte cutter and a frame stapler. This allows me to change matte color and size. The stapler is a godsend that quickly fixes the photo in the frame. Total cost of stapler and matte cutter was less than $300 (the cost of one photo at a frame shop). Tip: Take your time when buying used photos frames and make sure there are minimal dings. Often you can even find matching frames available.

Steven - not sure if this is related to your issue or not. I have an Epson P800 (which I love) connected to my PC via Wifi. I find that sometimes if there is an interruption in the Wifi signal, the computer will no longer recognize the printer. Only happens once in a great while when my internet service drops. The solution for me has been to power down both the printer and the PC. Wait a moment, then power everything back up. Everything reboots and all is well again.
Thanks. Don't believe this was the problem for me, this time around anyway. The printer was simply staying 'greyed out' (eg un-selectable) both on the Mac and in the Epson software, making it impossible even to 'add' the printer.... Who knows? It's working now so I'll pretend I've got it figured out until it happens again :)

I occasionally go to church auctions or second hand stores and purchase old frames paying $1 to $5 for them. Carefully cut out the old painting or photo and insert mine. I often will throw away the glass (have you ever seen a museum use glass?). The glass adds glare.
When you get tired of the photo, just replace it with something else.
I’ve now invested in a matte cutter and a frame stapler. This allows me to change matte color and size. The stapler is a godsend that quickly fixes the photo in the frame. Total cost of stapler and matte cutter was less than $300 (the cost of one photo at a frame shop). Tip: Take your time when buying used photos frames and make sure there are minimal dings. Often you can even find matching frames available.
Shhhhh!!!! You can get some really good frames and glass this way for very little money. Let's keep it a secret... ;)

Back