Bracketing exposure w/ Manual w/ Auto ISO

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
In the Z (and I believe previous dSLRs as well), if I enable bracketing if shootingin Manual w/ auto ISO, the camera varies the ISO. This makes senses at one level since Manual w/ Auto ISO is a program mode and the ISO is the control being varied. However it is not what I want. I would like to have the shutter speed varied. To get the shutter speeed varied I need to change to Aperture Priority mode. When i change into A mode, the aperture seems to be preserved but I remain in Auto ISO mode.

Is there way to make this switch "easier", switch to ISO, not Auto ISO, and the ISO set to the value last used in Manual with Auto ISO?

I can use a bank to switch from M to A and Auto ISO to ISO. Then I would need to reset ISO. Think I might be able to do with RSF but I don't want ot dedicate a button to thus function. Or alternatively is a way to set the A to automatically go into ISO mode, not Auto ISO mode?

Looking for an elegant solution.

You might be able to do something clever with Recall Shooting Function but I’d just switch from Auto ISO to manual ISO by hitting the ISO button in control hold mode and spinning the front dial (sub-command) then switching from Manual to Aperture Priority mode.

In the Z (and I believe previous dSLRs as well), if I enable bracketing if shootingin Manual w/ auto ISO, the camera varies the ISO. This makes senses at one level since Manual w/ Auto ISO is a program mode and the ISO is the control being varied. However it is not what I want. I would like to have the shutter speed varied. To get the shutter speeed varied I need to change to Aperture Priority mode. When i change into A mode, the aperture seems to be preserved but I remain in Auto ISO mode.

Is there way to make this switch "easier", switch to ISO, not Auto ISO, and the ISO set to the value last used in Manual with Auto ISO?

I can use a bank to switch from M to A and Auto ISO to ISO. Then I would need to reset ISO. Think I might be able to do with RSF but I don't want ot dedicate a button to thus function. Or alternatively is a way to set the A to automatically go into ISO mode, not Auto ISO mode?

Looking for an elegant solution.
You shouldn't have to change to Aperture Priority mode to cause the SS to vary when bracketing. But you will need to set your ISO manually, and not use Auto-ISO.

While shooting in Manual mode, set your desired aperture, set your ISO, then choose the number of exposure bracketed shots that you want (and exposure deltas), and fire away, and voilà there you have it.

Back