If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

11012021-GLP-BCG-544 2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
11012021-GLP-BCG-561 3.jpg
11012021-GLP-562 1.jpg
11012021-GLP-BCG-568 1b.jpg
These small ducks are known to "walk on water" during take-off as seen in the last image. D850, 500 mm f/5.6 PF, 1/2500 sec, f/5.6.

Love buffleheads. Didnt't even know existed until recent when I saw in ponds around our area ( more like I started paying attn with photography). Males are amazingly colorful in the right light. Good clean shots! Mallard doesn.t seemed to be spooked much. Agree with the walk on water but they are speedy little things.

Love buffleheads. Didnt't even know existed until recent when I saw in ponds around our area ( more like I started paying attn with photography). Males are amazingly colorful in the right light. Good clean shots! Mallard doesn.t seemed to be spooked much. Agree with the walk on water but they are speedy little things.
Spent about 90 minutes photographing them that day. Most of the time they spent swimming around and diving for food that day. Wish that they would have come a little closer but they were too shy.

Spent about 90 minutes photographing them that day. Most of the time they spent swimming around and diving for food that day. Wish that they would have come a little closer but they were too shy.
We have little lakes more large pond in the community I live in. Shorelines are pretty sparse with vegetation. So I sit on one side and the Buffles go to other but there is a frequently used walk path so, if I am patient, somebody will scare them closer but usually still to the center of pond. I know exactly what you mean when it comes to shy. My pics are stretched to max crop except for a fortunate few. But they are entertaining to watch.

Last edited:
Nice Capture Jack! I love these guys as well. They seem to know just how far to swim from you when you are ready for the shot👍👍