Cades Cove

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

PAUL50

Supporting Member
Marketplace
A question for those familiar with Cades Cove in Great Smoky Mountain NP. Recently went to Cades Cove For first time in search of black bear with my Nikon D4s and Nikon D850. Rumor had it that it was an excellent place to shoot bear. I was on the loop road of the park at opening, out at noon (light and crowds chased me out), and back by 4:30 until dark two days in a row. Saw almost no bears and those I saw would have been out of reach with a 600mm lens. I stuck mainly to the road. Since it’s an 8 hour drive for me I’m Wondering if it’s worth going back. Perhaps sticking by the road was my mistake but didn’t have bear spray so I was reluctant to walk trails with blind curves. Was I just unlucky? Would I have been better Off on the trails. Is bear spray recommended (and actually carried), is there really bear in the Cove. Your thoughts would be appreciated. I was at first reluctant to post this since it’s not a technical photo question but then decided that without subjects to shoot the technical is useless. Also. I’m new, so your patience will be appreciate.

Bear spray is an absolute necessity if you're going to share space with bears. And with any wildlife, and certainly bears (unless you're lucky enough to get to those feeding spots where they feed in BC or Alaska), it's very much a waiting game if you're not expressly going after them (hunting them with a camera). As someone who has done a lot of hiking in brown and black bear country, coming upon a bear on a trail is not going to produce a good photo opportunity, and likely to produce a very dangerous situation. You're going to want to find a clearing or open area where you know they are likely to appear and hope they they come to you where you see them and they see you and they tolerate your presence while you photograph them. You saw bears but they didn't come into range; that's kinda the game for car as tripod photography. I've been very close to bears, not once sadly with a in my hand, nor have I gone looking for them to photograph them specifically, so take my advice as bear awareness info, really.

Thank you for the information. Sincerely appreciate it. You confirm my decision to stay off the paths and in the future to carry bear spray. Are you familiar with Cades Cove?

Hi Paul, I’ve done a lot of research on Cades Cove pretty much everything I’ve read online says it one of the best places in the park to go To see bears. I’m hoping to get down there in the near future . I have friends that live in maryville And they say it’s the place to go as well.. From my understanding finding a spot to setup is the way to go for morning and evening and during the day is the time to travel the loop ( along with everyone else) another place that is recommended is roaring Fork motor nature trail out of Gatlinburg. Hopefully someone that visits often will chime in here as well.

Thanks for responding. I’m encouraged. It is beautiful country. I managed to get some shots of deer and turkey that im happy with but for me the big prize would be to bring home a card full of bear.

Thank you for the information. Sincerely appreciate it. You confirm my decision to stay off the paths and in the future to carry bear spray. Are you familiar with Cades Cove?
Hi, I'm not familiar with Cades Cove; am in northern Canada. I've now had a look via the Internet, tho. Looks gorgeous. Good luck with your bear pursuits. Can't wait to see the photos.

Hi, I'm not familiar with Cades Cove; am in northern Canada. I've now had a look via the Internet, tho. Looks gorgeous. Good luck with your bear pursuits. Can't wait to see the photos.
Thanks

I’ve been to Cade’s Cove, and seen bears twice. When they are the slightest bit visible, there will be a miles long backup of vehicles. People out with their phones doing stupid things for photos. Then there will be at least one, if not more, rangers. Telling folks to get back in their cars. Just a silly place to look for bears. Pocosin NWR, and the Pungo Lake area has more bears than anywhere in the USA. Particularly active in spring, early morning best. I’ve seen 20 at a time there, and you are alone.

I see bears pretty much every time I'm there, but they aren't always handy to photograph. I was there just a few days ago in fact for another project and we saw bears almost every time (sounds like we may have been there at the same time). I tend to also go when they open the gates, but I often stay away in the evening - it's too frustrating with the crowds.

I've found that May and June seem to be the best times overall. I see more bears at that time of year and often little cubs are in tow. Late June you get the berries too and they love hangin out in the bushes and eating. There are also a pair of barred owls that like to hang around the little creek shortly after the Sparks Road turn off towards the end of the loop. Lots of good stuff that time of year. In August, not so much - I'm actually surprised we saw as many bears as we did.

As for hiking, you're pretty safe. Bear spray isn't a bad idea, although I seldom take it along in the smokies. Clapping hands and making noise is pretty effective for turning away GSM black bears. Had one change me a few years back, I saw him coming, clapped my hands and lunged towards him. He stopped dead in his tracks and walked away. Just a few weeks ago in YNP I had a black bear get too close and gave a single loud quick clap - he took off. Still, it's possible you could encounter one that's not as easy to scare (the big ones make me nervous sometimes), but for the most part, it's not a big deal. (BTW - don't try those strategies with grizzlies.)

Honestly though, the toughest thing about GSM black bears is that they are often so used to people that you can't get a shot of them with their head up - they completely ignore you!

At any rate, I'm rambling - but check it out in May / June. Great time for 'em IMO.

A bit south from there in North Georgia at Fort Mountain State Park bears have been frequent visitors on my few trips to the park. We had to try to avoid them.

The park is not as spectacular as Cades Cove but also not nearly as crowded. It is a little over an hour from Chattanooga and an hour and half from Atlanta.

I've been there several times and almost always see a bear but we try to get there really early to avoid the worst of the crowds. Last time we saw a sow with 2 cubs (May) and it was great, but the "bear jam" can get really bad. We haven't tried hiking in the area except for the trail to the waterfall at the end of the cove.

A bit south from there in North Georgia at Fort Mountain State Park bears have been frequent visitors on my few trips to the park. We had to try to avoid them.

The park is not as spectacular as Cades Cove but also not nearly as crowded. It is a little over an hour from Chattanooga and an hour and half from Atlanta.
Thanks. I'll give it a try.

I've been there several times and almost always see a bear but we try to get there really early to avoid the worst of the crowds. Last time we saw a sow with 2 cubs (May) and it was great, but the "bear jam" can get really bad. We haven't tried hiking in the area except for the trail to the waterfall at the end of the cove.
Thanks. I spent two days at Cades Cove and while it is beautiful, I could not believe the traffic. From 0800 to 1000 it was manageable but after that the crowds really build up and by noon I was out of there. I did go back in the evening, but like Steve said, it was very crowded and it was rainy to boot.

I see bears pretty much every time I'm there, but they aren't always handy to photograph. I was there just a few days ago in fact for another project and we saw bears almost every time (sounds like we may have been there at the same time). I tend to also go when they open the gates, but I often stay away in the evening - it's too frustrating with the crowds.

I've found that May and June seem to be the best times overall. I see more bears at that time of year and often little cubs are in tow. Late June you get the berries too and they love hangin out in the bushes and eating. There are also a pair of barred owls that like to hang around the little creek shortly after the Sparks Road turn off towards the end of the loop. Lots of good stuff that time of year. In August, not so much - I'm actually surprised we saw as many bears as we did.

As for hiking, you're pretty safe. Bear spray isn't a bad idea, although I seldom take it along in the smokies. Clapping hands and making noise is pretty effective for turning away GSM black bears. Had one change me a few years back, I saw him coming, clapped my hands and lunged towards him. He stopped dead in his tracks and walked away. Just a few weeks ago in YNP I had a black bear get too close and gave a single loud quick clap - he took off. Still, it's possible you could encounter one that's not as easy to scare (the big ones make me nervous sometimes), but for the most part, it's not a big deal. (BTW - don't try those strategies with grizzlies.)

Honestly though, the toughest thing about GSM black bears is that they are often so used to people that you can't get a shot of them with their head up - they completely ignore you!

At any rate, I'm rambling - but check it out in May / June. Great time for 'em IMO.
Thanks. When are you going to publish something on the Lightroom Develop Module. I'm waiting!

We stayed at Cades Cove three days in mid April 2018 and we saw two times bears, including a mother with it's two cubs, mainly at the end of the day, not far from the road; a ranger told us that they used to come in the valley at this time of the year to eat a lot of plants; it was not crowdy and to avoid bear jam, we used our bicycles to have access to the 11 miles Cades Cove loop; it was the occasion for us to see also many birds; I know that during some periods of the year they close the road to cars, allowing only pedestrians or bicycles to have access to the loop. It's also the best time of the year to admire wildflowers in the park, people coming from everywhere to see all this biodiversity.

Thanks. When are you going to publish something on the Lightroom Develop Module. I'm waiting!
Probably when I get a few more projects done. Sadly, the Lightroom stuff isn't as popular as my other offerings so I have to be careful where I put in my time.

Probably when I get a few more projects done. Sadly, the Lightroom stuff isn't as popular as my other offerings so I have to be careful where I put in my time.
Understood. I look forward to it nonetheless! Thanks Steve for all you've done. I've learned a lot from you already and you have definitely upped my game.

We stayed at Cades Cove three days in mid April 2018 and we saw two times bears, including a mother with it's two cubs, mainly at the end of the day, not far from the road; a ranger told us that they used to come in the valley at this time of the year to eat a lot of plants; it was not crowdy and to avoid bear jam, we used our bicycles to have access to the 11 miles Cades Cove loop; it was the occasion for us to see also many birds; I know that during some periods of the year they close the road to cars, allowing only pedestrians or bicycles to have access to the loop. It's also the best time of the year to admire wildflowers in the park, people coming from everywhere to see all this biodiversity.
It truly is a beautiful place. I'll go back despite the crowds.

Back