California Towhee, Testing with New Lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jadewolf

tbDSC_7546c_bcg.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Well, a big 'thank you' to all the people everywhere who are selling their old 600mm f4E F-mount lenses to upgrade to the Z-mount version. I ended up getting a good deal on a used one this week for not too much more than what I was going to be spending renting one for a my upcoming trips all together. It's a little scuffed up cosmetically, but the glass is perfect and the functionality is all 100%.

Got it today in the late afternoon. Naturally, local conditions are terrible today for photography, ha. It's grey-white sky outside ahead of another big storm and only had about 30 minutes of daylight left anyway, but still hauled it all out to the local park to test it out on what few birds were still hanging around at this time of day.

Holy moly, I can't believe how incredibly sharp it is! Just... wow. I am absolutely loving it!

Also, holy moly is this thing heavy. Guess I'm gonna have to start lifting weights, ha. I must look ridiculous, being a very tiny woman with a giant camera rig. But dang, I'm really loving this thing. I've been wanting a big telephoto since I was first starting out in 35mm film long ago, but never could afford one through all those years. Works great on the tripod, just need to shake out a carry method for the whole rig that works for me.

Needless to say, I'm stoked. Wasn't much to shoot other than this little California Towhee who was foraging for seeds under the sycamore trees, but I'm really happy with it so far!

Unfortunately, the storm will probably bring dangerous flood conditions all weekend (and I'm on call this week, besides) so won't be able to hit up the wetland basin until next weekend to give it a proper test. But I just had to share my excitement somewhere where folks would understand! ;)

View attachment 53015

Well, a big 'thank you' to all the people everywhere who are selling their old 600mm f4E F-mount lenses to upgrade to the Z-mount version. I ended up getting a good deal on a used one this week for not too much more than what I was going to be spending renting one for a my upcoming trips all together. It's a little scuffed up cosmetically, but the glass is perfect and the functionality is all 100%.

Got it today in the late afternoon. Naturally, local conditions are terrible today for photography, ha. It's grey-white sky outside ahead of another big storm and only had about 30 minutes of daylight left anyway, but still hauled it all out to the local park to test it out on what few birds were still hanging around at this time of day.

Holy moly, I can't believe how incredibly sharp it is! Just... wow. I am absolutely loving it!

Also, holy moly is this thing heavy. Guess I'm gonna have to start lifting weights, ha. I must look ridiculous, being a very tiny woman with a giant camera rig. But dang, I'm really loving this thing. I've been wanting a big telephoto since I was first starting out in 35mm film long ago, but never could afford one through all those years. Works great on the tripod, just need to shake out a carry method for the whole rig that works for me.

Needless to say, I'm stoked. Wasn't much to shoot other than this little California Towhee who was foraging for seeds under the sycamore trees, but I'm really happy with it so far!

Unfortunately, the storm will probably bring dangerous flood conditions all weekend (and I'm on call this week, besides) so won't be able to hit up the wetland basin until next weekend to give it a proper test. But I just had to share my excitement somewhere where folks would understand! ;)
Jade, you can't go wrong with any 600mm big guns. The only thing I would be careful with is depth of field, while I love the dreamy bokeh, I usually stop down to F/5.6 or even F/7.1 just to have a bit more moving space. Lovely bird.

Oliver

Congrats on the new lens. Yes with the good deals out there on f mount glass it presents a dilemma for some decisions. Enjoy the glass and looking forward to you sharing some results with us when the opportunity allows.

That looks great! The detail around the eye is amazing.

Sounds like you got a good deal. That's why I just can't give up my 600mm f/4 - it's a very sharp lens and works well in lower light conditions.

Jade, you can't go wrong with any 600mm big guns. The only thing I would be careful with is depth of field, while I love the dreamy bokeh, I usually stop down to F/5.6 or even F/7.1 just to have a bit more moving space. Lovely bird.

Oliver
Thanks! Yeah, sounds like a good strategy. Especially with larger subjects for sure!

Indeed, I sympathise with you deeply ;)

It's a period of great decisions: the trip to the volcano at the end of last year, here a 600mm... 👏
Really has been! I've just come off a series of really awful years that really shifted my priorities a lot. I've been embracing a more 'go for it!' philosophy these days. And I'm a much happier person for it, for sure!

Congrats on the new lens. Yes with the good deals out there on f mount glass it presents a dilemma for some decisions. Enjoy the glass and looking forward to you sharing some results with us when the opportunity allows.
Thanks! And yeah, I was really on the fence between trying to put aside cash to get the Z-mount... but I think for now the F-mount will serve me just fine. Plus, I still have film and digital SLRs that I have no plans on selling, so now I can have a very flexible kit as far as what I take on trips! And I don't have to shell out $15K for the new Z version. (We'll see what the used market looks like on those in a couple years, then I'll revisit, ha!)

Congratulations! nice lens - especially at the price!
Thank you!

That looks great! The detail around the eye is amazing.

Sounds like you got a good deal. That's why I just can't give up my 600mm f/4 - it's a very sharp lens and works well in lower light conditions.
Thanks! I was really blown away with how sharp the details are with this lens. Those tiny feathers around the eye especially! I'm loving it! I cannot wait to take it back to Hawaiʻi and shoot the endemic birds there with it!

Great start with the lens! I ordered a nikon 800mm pf but having trouble resisting buying a 600mm 4.0e as the price falls. I can’t afford both . My 500mm pf is helping me be patient. I sold my 600mm f4g so I could buy the 800mm. I do miss this lens but the weight was too burdensome.

Killer lens and photo, so to speak
Thanks! I'm really loving it!

Great start with the lens! I ordered a nikon 800mm pf but having trouble resisting buying a 600mm 4.0e as the price falls. I can’t afford both . My 500mm pf is helping me be patient. I sold my 600mm f4g so I could buy the 800mm. I do miss this lens but the weight was too burdensome.

Yeah, I was on the fence between putting in an order for the 800PF or getting the 600 f4E. Couldn't pass up the used price on the 600mm, though. And that extra stop I think is going to be a real benefit when I'm back in the rainforest next. The 800 is still on my longer term wishlist, but I think I'll rent one eventually and see if I like it first.

The 600's weight is definitely a hindrance, though. Taking some getting used to! Feels like I'm pulling a bazooka outta the Jeep sometimes, haha. Still elected to keep my 500PF as a handholding lens. It feels positively featherweight compared to this beast! It's good to have options for different scenarios.

But man, I have zero regrets on the 600mm. I've been having such a blast with it so far!

Congrats on the 600mm F E - from a fellow 5'3" (shall we just say "experienced" rather than older? LOL!") lady photographer! You are going to LOVE it! I carry it, gimbal and tripod over my shoulder. And get sore shoulder bones, but it is worth it to be able to use such a great lens. I look forward to more photos as you and the 600mm get acquainted!

Congrats on the 600mm F E - from a fellow 5'3" (shall we just say "experienced" rather than older? LOL!") lady photographer! You are going to LOVE it! I carry it, gimbal and tripod over my shoulder. And get sore shoulder bones, but it is worth it to be able to use such a great lens. I look forward to more photos as you and the 600mm get acquainted!
Yup, 5'4", barely a hundred pounds soaking wet, and with a body full of bad joints from RA here, lol. I get some very amusing looks from the dudes at the local wetlands while hauling this rig around, ha!

It sure is heck on the shoulders, for sure! Have you tried something like this before? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073FCXT58/?tag=backcogaller-20 I've been thinking of getting one and seeing if that gives me a little more space to work with (and a little more padding) back there.

I'm so paranoid about it slipping out of the gimbal, though, that I've mostly been carrying it on my BlackRapid sling and just putting the tripod over the shoulder. Trying to work out the carry that works best for me.

Yup, 5'4", barely a hundred pounds soaking wet, and with a body full of bad joints from RA here, lol. I get some very amusing looks from the dudes at the local wetlands while hauling this rig around, ha!

It sure is heck on the shoulders, for sure! Have you tried something like this before? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073FCXT58/?tag=backcogaller-20 I've been thinking of getting one and seeing if that gives me a little more space to work with (and a little more padding) back there.

I'm so paranoid about it slipping out of the gimbal, though, that I've mostly been carrying it on my BlackRapid sling and just putting the tripod over the shoulder. Trying to work out the carry that works best for me.
I haven't tried using a pad to soften the load. I've heard some reports that the pad slips around a bit. If you try it, let me know how it works. I've become comfortable with triple-checking to make the EVERYTHING is locked down tight, and then hoisting the whole thing on my shoulder for short walks. Longer walks do become a problem.... at least for me.

I have one of those beasts, blown away with its sharp images. Only bug bear of it is the weight, so I have 3 methods of using it. If I am walking about, I use a tripod with one of those cushioned pads, the trick is getting the balance just right so there is no strain on the arms etc. Another method is a backpack if I am going to be in one spot all day (ie, in my portable hide or a screen), again getting the weight distribution right so the load shared by your shoulders, body and hips. Next option is a fishing trolley, with a diy case bolted on with quick removable top. The lens and camera all ready connected with my tripod next it in a separate compartment, this is for places where there is a number of positions I want to try. I have ordered the Z 800 PF principally because of the weight, with a view to the Z 1.4 TC. I do use a F mount TC14E iii with the 600, giving me a 850 F5.6, stopped down between F6.3 and F8 and you would be hard pushed to discern the difference in IQ.

Back