Calliope Hummingbird?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

trav.sullivan

Supporting Member
I believe this is a Calliope Hummingbird, but would appreciate confirmation from the knowledgeable group here. I don't believe it is an Anna's as the coloring on the top of the head looks too purple (to me at least).

_Z820575-Enhanced-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Where did you see this bird? It looks like an immature male Anna's to me. On a calliope I think the gorget would be more streaked looking (although hard to tell with a young bird), and I think the tail feathers might not have the white/black contrast. I think calliopes also have more tan/orange on the sides of the abdomen, although this is also variable with age I think.

Last edited:
Where did you see this bird? It looks like an immature male Anna's to me. On a caliope I think the gorget would be more streaked looking (although hard to tell with a young bird), and I think the tail feathers might not have the white/black contrast. I think caliopes also have more tan/orange on the sides of the abdomen, although this is also variable with age I think.
I'm in East Wenatchee (North Central Washington State). There are Anna's here also, so that makes sense. He just looks a lot smaller than the Anna's I would see in Seattle.

Back