Calving at Recherchebreen Glacier --- Svalbard.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Gottshotz

Supporting Member
Marketplace
One of the largest glaciers in the Svalbard Achipelago, the Recherchebreen Glacier is 9.9 miles long and has an elevation of 935 feet above sea level.

A1C00878 - Copy.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

It is also one of the most active, and we were fortunate enough to witness a large calving event as we cruised by in the Zodiac rib boat.

A1C00889.jpg

I hasten to add that we were at least half a mile from the ice face as the resultant wave is more dangerous than the chance of being "clobbered" by falling ice --- the mini Tsunami carries large amounts of sharpened "brash" ice above and below the surface.

A1C00962.jpg

Great patches of blue ice are revealed along the length of the glacier front --- indicating a lot of recent calving activity.

A1C00965.jpg

This last shot illustrates "brash" ice being carried by the current passing by the glacier.

A1C01008.jpg

One of the largest glaciers in the Svalbard Achipelago, the Recherchebreen Glacier is 9.9 miles long and has an elevation of 935 feet above sea level.

View attachment 47516

It is also one of the most active, and we were fortunate enough to witness a large calving event as we cruised by in the Zodiac rib boat.

View attachment 47517

I hasten to add that we were at least half a mile from the ice face as the resultant wave is more dangerous than the chance of being "clobbered" by falling ice --- the mini Tsunami carries large amounts of sharpened "brash" ice above and below the surface.

View attachment 47518

Great patches of blue ice are revealed along the length of the glacier front --- indicating a lot of recent calving activity.

View attachment 47519

This last shot illustrates "brash" ice being carried by the current passing by the glacier.

View attachment 47520
Very Cool!

I think it is difficult to photograph something so massive and convey just how large it is, but you have done that quite well. Great images.

I think it is difficult to photograph something so massive and convey just how large it is, but you have done that quite well. Great images.
Thanks Fred, there were a lot of frames fired off at the time, so picking only a few out to"time lapse" the effects was tricky.

Back