Camera Bag for z 800pf and camera

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am looking for a camera bag that could carry the following:
Z9, 100-400z, 800z pf, 105macro + 24-120
z6ii
Very few seems to accommodate the 800pf. I have seen mention of the GuraGear Kikobo 30L+ which has a 5.5in depth. I seems that the Nikon hood and cover is beyond that.
Anybody has experience with that bag or any other bags that would fit the equipment?

I am also not a big fan of the humongous hood and was looking for a replacement like the one lenscoat made at some time (foldable) ... which would reduce the problem. any idea on that front. It would also need a lens cap such as the one from Zemlin to protect the lens (kind of difficult to get).

The nikon bag is good but I am trying to stay low profile

Thanks for any help
Eric

I am looking for a camera bag that could carry the following:
Z9, 100-400z, 800z pf, 105macro + 24-120
z6ii
Very few seems to accommodate the 800pf. I have seen mention of the GuraGear Kikobo 30L+ which has a 5.5in depth. I seems that the Nikon hood and cover is beyond that.
Anybody has experience with that bag or any other bags that would fit the equipment?

I am also not a big fan of the humongous hood and was looking for a replacement like the one lenscoat made at some time (foldable) ... which would reduce the problem. any idea on that front. It would also need a lens cap such as the one from Zemlin to protect the lens (kind of difficult to get).

The nikon bag is good but I am trying to stay low profile

Thanks for any help
Eric
Butlerkid has a foldable hood listed on this forum for sale.

Zemlin makes 2-piece hoods as well as lens caps. He's closed until June, though.

Finally, a Z9 with 800mm PF attached fits in a Think Tank Glass Limo, though there's no room for any other lenses.

pf. I have seen mention of the GuraGear Kikobo 30L+ which has a 5.5in depth. I seems that the Nikon hood and cover is beyond that.

My numerous years old 6.5 inches deep ThinkTank Airport Addicted V2.0 takes it all - I presume the current ThinkTank version has a similar depth.

I find the supplied "lens cap" provides more side and front protection than the previous F mount lens versions, though easily fastening it in place with the draw-cord is a definite challenge.

The 800mm hood is store in reverse position around the lens. Think Tank has at least a couple of backpacks that accommodate lots of gear. However, all the gear you are talking about will be about 25 lb (including about 5 lbs for the bag) if you put it all in one bag.

I store my long lens with camera body in a Kinesis lens bag. When I'm going out for wildlife it stays in the bag until I reach my destination. Then it goes on tripod and gimbal. I put my 100-400 and 400 f4.5 and tele and other bits in my backpack with other gear.

My Think Tank Street Walker handles my other camera body, 24-70f f2.8, 14-24 f2.8, macro and maybe the 100-400 for walk around photography.

The LensCoat portable hood works great. Contact me via private message if you would like to discuss.

Bag types ThinkTank Airport or a Pelican, or a larger backpack?

I prefer a deep backpack. I've tried fStop and Mindshift aka ThinkTank packs, which work well and differ in minor but important ways. The MS Elite 45 is excellent except no side panel storage,so I have circled back to the fStop Tilopa (new model) that can hold 800 PF, 400 f4.5S, 2 cameras and a few more items + generous spaces for accessories.
I also have the 70 l Sukha, which holds a full Destination kit. There are many posts here discussing and recommending similar bags

Last edited:
Based on internal dimensions the GuraGear is long enough and deep enough for the Nikon 800mm pf. And the rest of the gear ought to fit too--the other side.

I would also check out the different Mindshift backback models made by ThinkTank. I would start with the 26L and the 36L.

Mindshift Backlight 36L can fit the Z9+800, 400 4.5+1.4TC, and there’s probably room for one more lens, maybe two if they’re small-ish.

Edited to add: the rear windowed piece on my lens covers isn’t correctly placed for a reason: I rotated it around so that I could have fabric covering the LF and Memory Set buttons; then, I dabbed some hot glue “nubs” over top of the buttons to give a tactile locator (you can see them in the pic on the 800). This makes it dead simple to find the buttons without taking eye from viewfinder. Also placed glue dots on the Recall buttons at the end of the barrel, so now it’s quick and easy to get back to the saved focus position, vs hunting around for the covered buttons.

IMG_5139.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
I used a Mindshift Backlight 36L on a recent trip to Vancouver Island. The bag held my Z9 and Z7II along with the Z 800 mm PF, Z 100-400 mm and Z 24-120 mm. I also had the Z 1.4x TC along. I brought my 500 mm PF, FTZII and 1.4x TCIII along as a backup, but carried that in my Thinktank laptop bag (and did not end up using it).

I have a two-piece Zemlin hood for the Z 800 mm PF, which collapses smaller for travel. I put this in my luggage for travel, as it did not fit so well in the backpack, given the other items I had along. I also like the Zemlin lens cap for the Z 800 mm PF.

No issues getting the backpack and laptop bag on a regular jet. And I was able to take both bags on a two-engine Dash 8 turbo prop operated by Air Canada — the backpack fit under the seat in front of me and the laptop bag went in the overhead bin.

I was pleased that traveling with the Z 800 mm PF worked this well. Planning to take it on other trips.

Mindshift Backlight 36L can fit the Z9+800, 400 4.5+1.4TC, and there’s probably room for one more lens, maybe two if they’re small-ish.

Edited to add: the rear windowed piece on my lens covers isn’t correctly placed for a reason: I rotated it around so that I could have fabric covering the LF and Memory Set buttons; then, I dabbed some hot glue “nubs” over top of the buttons to give a tactile locator (you can see them in the pic on the 800). This makes it dead simple to find the buttons without taking eye from viewfinder. Also placed glue dots on the Recall buttons at the end of the barrel, so now it’s quick and easy to get back to the saved focus position, vs hunting around for the covered buttons.

View attachment 60750
Will the original lens hood fit when no other lenses inside?

Back