Camera Lens Nikon D7500

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello everyone, I was trying to get people's opinion on the best overall lens for the Nikon D7500. I primarily will be using for nature photos as well as pictures of my little girls growing up and playing sports. I understand that this is a loaded question and there will be so many different answers as well as dependencies on what I am shooting. I am just looking to see generally what everyone's favorite or goto lens is. Thanks in advance.

imo the nikon 17-55 2.8 dx is a pretty optimal “walk around lens” for a nikon dx format dslr. but the 16-80 would be another good option. however, for action/sports you’ll probably want something a bit longer. you might want to pair one of those lenses with something like the tamron 70-200 2.8 g2 for when things are a bit farther away

Given the wide range of subjects you might want to photograph, if you can swing two lenses, the 16-80 and 70-300 AF-P FX (even though the D7500 is a DX body, I’d get the FX version of the 70-300) would be a nice kit going from wide angle to telephoto. I used both on my D500 and it was a versatile and very good quality pair.

Yep, it’s a good lens. I used a 16-80 for a bit more range. The 18-140 came my way for pretty much nothing. Used to throw it in the bag with D500 and a long Tele for a walkabout kit

I would consider the Sigma 17-70 C as an alternative to the Nikon 16-80. Sure, I guess the Nikon may have some advantages being a Nikon but the Sigma can be had for a fraction of the price and delivers excellent quality.
I second the recommendation of the AF-P 70-300, outstanding lens for the price! A kit of 16/17-70/80 + 70-300 on a D7500 will be able to cover a huge range of images!

I would consider the Sigma 17-70 C as an alternative to the Nikon 16-80. Sure, I guess the Nikon may have some advantages being a Nikon but the Sigma can be had for a fraction of the price and delivers excellent quality.
I second the recommendation of the AF-P 70-300, outstanding lens for the price! A kit of 16/17-70/80 + 70-300 on a D7500 will be able to cover a huge range of images!
Sigma definately value but I can’t live with how the zoom ring turns the wrong way.....compared to Nikon anyway. I think we all agree that the 70-300 is a good choice for the Tele.

My go to lens on my D500 is the Tamron 18-400. The image quality is quite good; it's not too heavy and has a 22x zoom range. The only thing that I'd change - not that I can - is the aperture range which is f3.5 to 6.3. Such a change to wider aperture would add to the weight and cost, of course.....
Like Patrick's suggestion above, this lens is a DX model.
cheers,
Alex

Based on your requirements, I can offer some lens suggestions that might be suitable for your needs.

For nature photography, it would be best to use a telephoto lens with a long focal length and wide aperture to capture splendid shots of wildlife, landscapes, and details. One lens you could consider is the Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR lens.

To capture your little girls as they grow up and play sports, a lens with a fast autofocus system and a decent focal length would be ideal. The Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II lens is a great option to consider since it is a versatile all-purpose lens that can take exceptional photos of various subjects, including action shots.

Alternatively, for portraits of your little girls with a blurred background that enhance the image quality, getting a prime lens with a wide aperture would be the best option. The Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens is an excellent choice because it showcases a beautiful bokeh effect that makes your subject stand out even more.

Last edited:
Based on your requirements, I can offer some lens suggestions that might be suitable for your needs.

For nature photography, it would be best to use a telephoto lens with a long focal length and wide aperture to capture splendid shots of wildlife, landscapes, and details. One lens you could consider is the Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR lens.

To capture your little girls as they grow up and play sports, a lens with a fast autofocus system and a decent focal length would be ideal. The Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II lens is a great option to consider since it is a versatile all-purpose lens that can take exceptional photos of various subjects, including action shots.

Alternatively, for portraits of your little girls with a blurred background that enhance the image quality, getting a prime lens with a wide aperture would be the best option. The Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens is an excellent choice because it showcases a beautiful bokeh effect that makes your subject stand out even more.
Just an FYI, this thread is 6 months old, and the OP has not been seen active in almost 5 months.

--Ken

My go to lens on my D500 is the Tamron 18-400. The image quality is quite good; it's not too heavy and has a 22x zoom range. The only thing that I'd change - not that I can - is the aperture range which is f3.5 to 6.3. Such a change to wider aperture would add to the weight and cost, of course.....
Like Patrick's suggestion above, this lens is a DX model.
cheers,
Alex
That is also my go to lens on my D7500.

Back