Camera or lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

You would have a faster focusing body with the Z8, but the 200-500 is a slow to acquire focus lens. The IQ from the 200-500 is a great value, but I hate how slow it quires focus on a subject like a BIF. But others find it perfectly acceptable, so much will depend on your expectations and budget.

Good luck,

--Ken

"Wildlife" covers a lot of subjects. What do you mostly shoot. If you need fast AF and blackout free VF then best go for the Z8/200-500. If shooting mostly static/slow moving subjects then the Z6/500PF might be a better choice. It's certainly better glass.

Thanks. Since getting Z6ii it has been mostly static subjects mainly because I find it difficult to do BIF with Z6ii/200-500 (I feel like it’s just luck when I do get a good image…of course my skill comes into play). Sounds like I’ll be better off, in this case, upgrading to the Z8.

Thanks. Since getting Z6ii it has been mostly static subjects mainly because I find it difficult to do BIF with Z6ii/200-500 (I feel like it’s just luck when I do get a good image…of course my skill comes into play). Sounds like I’ll be better off, in this case, upgrading to the Z8.
I would go with the Z8. Eventually you’re going to want it and match it with a better
lens(Z )which you will eventually get as well in the future.

I think that the glass will hold its value better than a camera body. So if you think you will need to trade up a some point in the future, go w/ the better camera body and then trade up lenses.

Back