Can I sling a dSLR and long lens over my shoulder for boarding a plane to save carry-on weight?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Richard Stern

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I'm going for a week on a package tour later this winter from Canada to the Dominican Rep., with Sunwing Airlines, who are apparently very strict about size and weight for carry-ons. I want to take my D500, 300 f4-pf and 1.4x TC, as although it's not a birding trip, I'm sure there will be some there to photograph. That gear + even a light pack will exceed the allowed carry on weight and probably size, and I'm loath to have it in my checked baggage in case it gets lost. Has anyone successfully got through security and check-in with similar gear in a similar situation by wearing the gear with a BlackRapid strap over the shoulder, or does anyone have any other suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Subject to the mood-at-the-time of individual TSA (and DR equivalent) agents, gate agents and flight crews. Somehow, for me, one time i tried,
the planets weren't aligned and i ended up shoving it into backpack. Since then a Palican is one of my two carry-ons.

Good luck.

Short answer is yes, I've done similar with success multiple times. When traveling small planes I tend to carry my 500mm f4 separate from my carry on bag. Long answer is that as @Nimi already mentioned it's all up to individual gate/flight crew and what kind of mood they're in.

It depends on what aircraft you are flying and where. In all case it is up to the crew. Personally I would not do this. One is required to stow items and loose gear can get bashed.

Don't you get a 5 kilo weight limit for carry-on baggage?
Hi, Yes, and I think I can stay under that with just the gear I described, but not with that plus my existing camera bag, which also exceeds the size requirements, 1 pair of binoculars, and a few minimal spare clothes etc. I think if I use a smaller and soft bag, carefully pack soft clothes around the camera and lens (which I will take apart) , and try and stuff as much as possible into my pockets, I'll be OK. But I asked my question to see if my suggestion might be a viable alternative - I guess not!

Back