Can I use my XQD cards and reader in a CFE-B system (Z8)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

In reading threads, I realized I'll need CFE backups and readers for my Z8. Then I saw something about being able to use the CF card in the D500, so it got me thinking, can I use my XQD cards in the Z8 in case I fill the card, and can I use my XQD reader (Lexar with USB3) to read the CFE card? I did a little google search but can't find an answer. Thanks

You should be able to use XQD cards in the Z8. However you will not be able to use most XQD Readers to read CFE-B cards. You need a reader designed for both. I have the Sony MRW-G1 and it will read both CFE-B and XQD cards, allowing me to use both in my Z9.

Note that XQD cards are not as fast as CFE-B cards, so if using XQD your Z8 will be limited to the speed of the card for writing files. This will not affect normal still images, unless you really take a lot of images at one time and hit the buffer limit. It may be more of an issue for video, especially at higher resolutions.

Yes you can use XQD cards in the camera. No your XQD reader will not read CFE cards. As @frdjohns said above you have to get a card reader specifically designed to read both formats.

I routinely use my old XQD cards in the Z9. Buffer capacity is 35 frames with XQD vs a little over 80 with CFE.

Yes you can use XQD cards in the camera. No your XQD reader will not read CFE cards. As @frdjohns said above you have to get a card reader specifically designed to read both formats.

I routinely use my old XQD cards in the Z9. Buffer capacity is 35 frames with XQD vs a little over 80 with CFE.
Additionally, if OP plans on doing 8k video or even some of the 4k modes, the XQD cards will not be able to handle it.

I, too, have an XQD card and Sony XQD card reader from my D850. I am getting the Z8 and a CFExpress B card. I researched and it appears the Sony QDA-SB1 will NOT read CFExpress. Is there any other fast way to transfer images to computer (I'm assuming WIFI is slow), like connecting with USBC... or do I need another card reader?

I, too, have an XQD card and Sony XQD card reader from my D850. I am getting the Z8 and a CFExpress B card. I researched and it appears the Sony QDA-SB1 will NOT read CFExpress. Is there any other fast way to transfer images to computer (I'm assuming WIFI is slow), like connecting with USBC... or do I need another card reader?
You could connect the camera directly to the computer to offload images. Otherwise you'd need another card reader. I just did this as well. I have XQD cards with a Sony reader which I will sell soon or keep around for backup. I now have a Prograde CF-B/SD UHS-II reader which will not read XQD. I'm replacing my XQD cards with two Delkin Black cards so I don't have to have both XQD and CF-B readers and cards.

You could connect the camera directly to the computer to offload images. Otherwise you'd need another card reader. I just did this as well. I have XQD cards with a Sony reader which I will sell soon or keep around for backup. I now have a Prograde CF-B/SD UHS-II reader which will not read XQD. I'm replacing my XQD cards with two Delkin Black cards so I don't have to have both XQD and CF-B readers and cards.
Thanks for your fast response! Is there any advantage to having the card reader versus just connecting with the USB-C? i.e. is the USB-C just as fast? Slower?

Back