Can you re-map the Fn3 button on the Nikon Z8?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I just purchased a Nikon Z8, but I'm still using my Z6ii as a second camera body. It's driving me crazy that the playback button is in a different location on the two cameras. I've been searching to see if I can re-map the Z8's Fn3 button. I'd like to use it as the playback button. Does anyone know if this is possible? If so, how do you make the change? Thanks!!

Thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated.

In case anyone else is wanting to do this, I thought it might be helpful to explain exactly what has to be done. The setting that needs to be changed is in the Custom Setting Menu (pencil) under f2, Custom controls (shooting), NOT f3, Custom controls (playback), where I had been looking. Then you have to scroll down to Fn3, select that, and scroll through the choices until you find the one that says "Playback." Be sure to press the Menu button to save your changes. That was the other mistake I made. I pressed OK instead of Menu and couldn't figure out why my changes were not getting saved.

In case anyone else is wanting to do this, I thought it might be helpful to explain exactly what has to be done. The setting that needs to be changed is in the Custom Setting Menu (pencil) under f2, Custom controls (shooting), NOT f3, Custom controls (playback), where I had been looking. Then you have to scroll down to Fn3, select that, and scroll through the choices until you find the one that says "Playback." Be sure to press the Menu button to save your changes. That was the other mistake I made. I pressed OK instead of Menu and couldn't figure out why my changes were not getting saved.
What happens when you press Fn3 while in Playback?
If you want the Z8 to return to shooting mode, go into Custom Setting f2 and from the options select "return to shooting" (going from memory here)

Good news.
My stupid mistake not to realize the control must be activated in Custom Menu [logically one has to be outside of the Playback menu] to switch to Playback controls!

Back