Canadian urban wildlife

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rassie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Coming home from work yesterday I found a dead skunk in the street that had been run over, about 30 meters up from my house. When this happens the entire area stinks for a couple days. A while later my wife called me to bring the camera. A Turkey vulture, very common in this area, had taken an interest in the skunk. I took some photos but I wasn't happy with them - weak light, low shutter speed, hand-held with wide open aperture. This morning the vulture was back and I went out with the camera on a tripod.

I had only made a few images when the neighbor's daughter two houses up came out and let out a blood-curdling scream. This, of course, screwed up any further chance for photos - the vulture took off like a flash. Judging by her laughter the scream was deliberate. I gave the girl a piece of my mind and I guess I'll henceforth be known in that household as the grumpy old geezer two houses down the street.

Nikon Z6 with Nikkor 200-500mm.
_nz65207_NZ65207.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

_nz65216_NZ65216.jpg

More images from last night.

_nz65002_NZ65002.jpg

_nz65034_NZ65034.jpg

Last edited:
Superb photos, Rassie; I just remember that the relative of turkey vulture, the black vulture, has a particular comportment in some parks in Florida, having a strong taste for ruber and other material they can lacerate; this photo was taken before leaving for my favorite spot; I was laughing, seing the bird on my bike until I returned later to find many vultures lacerating the saddle, leaving it in a pitiful state.

_CS01220.jpg

Thanks. I didn't know they would tear apart other materials like that. In Africa the vultures are sometimes called the can-openers of the bush for the ability of those beaks to tear through the toughest hides.

Back