Canon equivalent to the Nikon D7500

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RecalcitrantRon

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I've been a Nikon shooter and don't really know the Canon lineup. My friend has an old Digital Rebel and wants to upgrade. If he were a Nikon shooter, I would say something in the D7500 would be in his price and use range. Any thoughts on what the Canon equivalent would be? Thanks.

This will get him started with reviews and links to BH for prices. Canon USA also sells direct as well and refurbished has the full one year warranty.

The R8 is a strong contender at $1200 new with the $300 off sale going on. Next would be the R10 at $879. If he has EF lenses he'd need the adapter, I think $99. The are also plenty of DSLR in that price range. The Canon site below you can sort by price.

Last edited:
Canon had the xxD range, I think it ended with the 80D or 90D before they went all in on mirrorless. Going to one of the Mirrorless equivalents and using an adapter is probably the better approach. When it comes to mirrorless, canon has quite a few mid level options to look into.

Edit: R7 appears to be the mirrorless replacement and it looks like 90D is the most current DSLR equivalent. I’d personally go R7 with EF to RF adapter as long as there is no compatibility issues with his lenses.

Last edited:
I was going more on similar cost since the op said in the same price and use class as the D7500. The R7 at $1400 is a good crop choice but costlier than the full frame R8.

D7500 would be in his price and use range. Any thoughts on what the Canon equivalent would be?
Ron…

Canon's 850D could be regarded as the equivalent of Nikon's D7500. Yes, its name is confusing!

I would neither recommend, nor disparage, either of those cameras.

Perhaps, it is time to embrace mirrorless: if so, I can make a few recommendations.
  • R7
    • APS-C (crop sensor)
    • 35 megapixels
  • R8
    • full-frame sensor
    • 24 megapixels
The prices of these cameras are much the same. Remember to add an EF-RF adaptor so that their current DSLR lenses can be used.

… David

Last edited:
I was going more on similar cost since the op said in the same price and use class as the D7500. The R7 at $1400 is a good crop choice but costlier than the full frame R8.
The R7 seems to be closer to the D7500 in terms of specs and performance than the R8 is. (APS-C sensor, (reportedly) good AF performance.) At least I didn’t state that the person wanting to upgrade should get an R5 and crop.

Back