Canon R5 II Rumored Specs

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I don't really see a reason for a 24mp R3 sports body and an R1 at 45mp.

The sports guys rarely ever shoot raw as the file needs to be uploaded and ready to be published with little to no editing. You can take the 45mp camera set it to jpg and set it for the file size/mp you need for the Editor.

It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me having an R3 24mp body at $6,000 and an R1 45mp body at $6,500 or $7,000. I just don't see where that is a feasible option for Canon

Last edited:
I don't really see a reason for a 24mp R3 sports body and an R1 at 45mp.

The sports guys rarely ever shoot raw as the file needs to be uploaded and ready to be published with little to no editing. You can take the 45mp camera set it to jpg and set it for the file size/mp you need for the Editor.

It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me having an R3 24mp body at $6,000 and an R1 45mp body at $6,500 or $7,000. I just don't see where that is a feasible option for Canon
Don't know if it is a good idea either but it is the way Sony decided to go with the 24MP A9III at $6000 and the 50MP A1 at $6500.

Having an R1 at 45MP and an R3 at 24MP seems to make more sense then having an R1 and an R3 at 24MP. Maybe R3 line is just discontinued going forward if that is the case??

A friend is testing one. He wouldn't give me any details except "it's great and it isn't overheating."

I almost jumped from a D5 to and R5 a few years back, but returned it when it overheated and got the Z9 (two actually). I'm very optimistic that it would leapfrog anything in the $4k bracket.

The rumors site is saying now everything Canon is simply going to be delayed. They have no clue and really should just shut that site down at this point. It's as bad as the 24/7 news cycle, constantly manufacturing stories to keep the drama going and fill the time.

A friend is testing one. He wouldn't give me any details except "it's great and it isn't overheating."

I almost jumped from a D5 to and R5 a few years back, but returned it when it overheated and got the Z9 (two actually). I'm very optimistic that it would leapfrog anything in the $4k bracket.
That cinema camera they're announcing tomorrow looks like it could be interesting, @Nimi. Looks like a new form factor.
june5youtube.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Absolutely watching for it. I think it's a replacement for the 300 or 500. What I'd really love to see is a full-frame, modernized, box-style C70. I rent it occasionally and it's great, but not at all easy to rig.
Certainly looks like a box to me with that mount being so far below the top and the width being roughly identical.

Certainly looks like a box to me with that mount being so far below the top and the width being roughly identical.

Agree. I'm not in the market for a 300/500, needing a $5000-6000, 6k/240, full-frame, built-in ND, which they don't currently make. Also wish for an EF mount, but thats not in the cards. Sony can't be far behind with a FX6ii. Canon really made some missteps in a market they dominated, gave up tons of market share to Sony. But they still have the best colors.

And it's out. Poring over the specs, but at first glance, this is one hell of a camera. The full-frame sensor is stacked.
Too much video camera for me, but I agree it looks nice at first glance. I don't know enough about these types of bodies to appreciate it or have a critique. Was hoping to get a few nuggets about either the R5ii or R1, but alas, notta. The 35 f/1.4 looks interesting. Glad they finally have a faster 35.

They already had the rf 35mm 1.8, but the L class and the hybrid aperture puts it in a new ballpark, I'd say.

Fair comparison of mtf here, yes the 1.4 won, but the 1.8 isn't bad.

URL unfurl="true"]https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-rf-35mm-f1-4l-vcm-mtf-comparison/[/URL]
Looks like a great lens. I've been nerding-out on the C400 reviews, and many of the reviewers are singing this lens' praises. I'll start a new thread on the C400 (aka "maybe my next camera")

Set your alarms for 3AM PDT or 6AM EDT July 17th

Also the latest spec list:

New Canon EOS R5 Mark II Information (Unconfirmed)
  • No blackout during continuous shooting
  • A better implemented pixel-shift high resolution mode (no details)
  • “Some” illumination with the buttons
  • LCD resolution more than doubled
  • Focus sensitivity of -8EV
  • Increased battery performance (don't expect a quantum leap here)
  • Maximum Electronic Shutter Speed “beyond” 1/8000s
  • Dynamic range claim of 16 stops (claimed vs real world can differ)
  • Full Size HDMI Port
  • New “firsts” for Canon in AF algorithms (I'm sure the EOS R1 would also have those firsts and more)
  • Slightly heavier body (Probably not noticeable)
  • New IBIS performance modes (No details)
Previously Reported EOS R5 Mark II Specifications
  • 45mp BSI Stacked Sensor
  • New EVF design
  • 12fps Mechanical & 30fps Electronic max burst rates
  • Eye Controlled AF from the EOS R3
  • New passive cooling design with two new vents
  • Active cooling grip accessory
  • Battery grip accessory
  • 8K60P (with cavaets)
  • CFexpress Type B / SD card configuration
  • Launch Price: $3999 USD
  • Announcement: July 17, 2024
  • Shipping: August, 2024

If the R5 mk2 does indeed have Eye controlled AF and a blackout free EVF I’m sure I’ll replace my R5 (I have the R1 on preorder to replace the R3)
Exciting times!

Set your alarms for 3AM PDT or 6AM EDT July 17th

Also the latest spec list:

New Canon EOS R5 Mark II Information (Unconfirmed)
  • No blackout during continuous shooting
  • A better implemented pixel-shift high resolution mode (no details)
  • “Some” illumination with the buttons
  • LCD resolution more than doubled
  • Focus sensitivity of -8EV
  • Increased battery performance (don't expect a quantum leap here)
  • Maximum Electronic Shutter Speed “beyond” 1/8000s
  • Dynamic range claim of 16 stops (claimed vs real world can differ)
  • Full Size HDMI Port
  • New “firsts” for Canon in AF algorithms (I'm sure the EOS R1 would also have those firsts and more)
  • Slightly heavier body (Probably not noticeable)
  • New IBIS performance modes (No details)
Previously Reported EOS R5 Mark II Specifications
  • 45mp BSI Stacked Sensor
  • New EVF design
  • 12fps Mechanical & 30fps Electronic max burst rates
  • Eye Controlled AF from the EOS R3
  • New passive cooling design with two new vents
  • Active cooling grip accessory
  • Battery grip accessory
  • 8K60P (with cavaets)
  • CFexpress Type B / SD card configuration
  • Launch Price: $3999 USD
  • Announcement: July 17, 2024
  • Shipping: August, 2024
If it does internal 8k/60, 16 stops of DR (or 12 tbh) and not overheat, sign me up.

If the R5 mk2 does indeed have Eye controlled AF and a blackout free EVF I’m sure I’ll replace my R5 (I have the R1 on preorder to replace the R3)
Exciting times!

So you rely on the eye control in the R3? How does it operate? Do you push a buttom then look, or is it always engaged?

So you rely on the eye control in the R3?
Nope I don’t rely on it, I use it occasionally, but I like it because it works great and instantly when your moving your eye towards another “point” in the EVF.
So it’s very convenient when shooting busy scenes or groups of ……
How does it operate? Do you push a buttom then look, or is it always engaged?

First
You have to set the option to “enabled” in the AF photo menu.
Then make, save and load your calibration-dataset for different holding and lighting conditions. (You keep overwriting the very same dataset, it will be incrementally updated every time you use the calibrating function. Next time when you want to use ECAF push the default or assigned button to activate it, look at the scene in the EVF and use your eye to move the AF-box.

Last edited:
Nope I don’t rely on it, I use it occasionally, but I like it because it works great and instantly when your moving your eye towards another “point” in the EVF.
So it’s very convenient when shooting busy scenes or groups of ……

First
You have to set the option to “enabled” in the AF photo menu.
Then make, save and load your calibration-dataset for different holding and lighting conditions. (You keep overwriting the very same dataset, it will be incrementally updated every time you use the calibrating function. Next time when you want to use ECAF push the default or assigned button to activate it, look at the scene in the EVF and use your eye to move the AF-box.

Thanks, it's good to know there is a button, otherwise it seems it would be jumping every which way as one glanced around. So, press, look, release and the af point jumps where you look and stays at that spot when you release? Does it work in animal eye detection af mode?

Back