Canon R5 Mark II and Switch to registered AF func.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Matt N

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I'll start off by saying that I've spent hours reading the manual today (over and over again).

I'm trying to customize the buttons on the R5 Mark II and want to accomplish the following:

Shutter button half-press - Metering start (I'll use BBAF) - SUCCESS
M-Fn button - changed to "AF point selection" - SUCCESS
AF-ON - Metering and AF start (I want it to focus using whatever AF area I've selected using M-Fn) - SUCCESS
* button - Register/recall shooting function (AF area = spot, Whole area = ON, subject = OFF; trying to simulate Nikon 3D). - SUCCESS

AF point button (to right of *) - I want this to switch to a specific focus area/mode until I hit it again (toggle). FAIL

I've tried setting it to "Switch to registered AF func.", and that works, but you have to keep holding it down AND hit the AF-ON button. It seems that would only work if you are using shutter half-press to focus since I can't make my thumb press both the AF-ON button and this button at the same time. Alternatively, if I can set the button to "Switch to registered AF func." and AF start, that would be acceptible.

Basically, I want 3 buttons that sets my AF area and starts AF. One button to start AF using whatever the current area is, and 2 other buttons that each use a specific, different AF area (and starts AF or toggles to it).

Is it possible to accomplish what I want?

The manual is pretty horrible. It tells me what functions I can assign to the button, but doesn't really go into how it actually works. This is a good example that carries over from last week's post about RTFM. Even after reading the manual, it's still extremely difficult to figure out how to put it to use.

I have the r5 not the mark ii, but I bet they are similar. I have a different triple bbaf so I won't confuse the topic, but this dpreview thread about the R5 seems to be what you are asking:

1st step: In AF-4 / Limit AF Methods: Deselect any AF methods you don't normally use.

2nd step: Ctrl Fn 3/ Customize Buttons: Scroll down to AF Point Button (the far right of the "triple" set) and select: " Direct AF Method Selection".

Now each time you press the AF Point Selection Button it will toggle instantly through your chosen AF methods as per Step-1, and you won't have to access any menu to change them.

3rd step: Set the * button to Eye Detection (Note that Eye Detection only functions in the Face+tacking Mode, so no further Mode selection is necessary).

With this configuration, pressing the AF On button, you'll be in whatever AF mode/method selected with the AF Point button, which you can instantly toggle to a different mode if desired.

If/when the subject comes close you can press the * button an get Face+Tracking with Eye Detection. Press the AF On button and your instantly back to the selected AF Mode.

Back