If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Gaduf

Caught this Black Egret in the shallows of the Chobe River preparing to fish.
They have a very unique way of using their wings to create an umbrella shaped canopy over the water - which makes it easier for them to attract , spot , and catch the fish below them.
Gavin
Black Egret
1710949243300.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Canopy Fishing
1710949310525.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

That is so cool, Gavin. Would love to witness this in person. Nice job and TFS.
Many thanks for your kind feedback, Dan.
The Chobe River, and Chobe National Park in Botswana is very special, and has a huge variety of African wildlife . Very popular with wildlife photographers from all over the globe.
I am aware that you are very far away from here, but it is well worth a visit.
Gavin

Gavin - One word - Excellent! šŸ˜ Your exposure is spot on. I have many images of them doing the canopy, but in not a single one is the colour as nice as you have it here!
Mooi Man!

Beautiful Shots Gavin, they act like our Reddish Egrets.
Many thanks for the feedback Ira,
I have only seen your Reddish Egrets in this forum, as we do not see them in my part of the world.
Nature is amazing in how different birds are equipped with techniques to capture their prey.
Gavin

Wow! I've never seen a reddish egret do it quite like that. They seem to have perfected the technique and took it a step further.
Many thanks for looking and commenting Kirk,
Yes, these Black Egrets are fun to watch as they create the canopy - a natural umbrella.
Gavin