Can't part with my D6

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jhallettbc

Supporting Member
Marketplace
After I got my Z9 I thought the D6 has to go, it’s redundant. It is my all time favourite camera but I said good-bye to it and put it up for sale on Marketplace. Over 3 months I only had one person who seemed serious about buying it but he disappeared. I started asking $4800 Canadian and gradually reduced the price to $4000, which would be about $3000 US. Still no interest. So I came to my senses and decided to keep it. Boy does that feel good and I will be using it a lot more and the Z9 less. They each have their place. I was trying some low light experiments and the D6 wins hands down.

I can relate in keeping gear due to the low prices in the 2nd hand market but in my case for lenses. I had over the years a D4, D4s and D5 in the pro body segment (also a D810 and D850) but sold them without remorse or guild and got mirrorless instead. How good these were and still are, the newer bodies offer features that make life so much easier again for a wildlife photographer like myself. Perhaps different for a macro photographer, fashion, street, ... or maybe not but just my take on it.
Enjoy your shooting out there.

I was out shooting my D6 last weekend. I had tried the Z9 at the same venue the week before and it couldn't cut it. The Z9 does have starlight view which has some advantage but not for a moving subject.

I also miss my D6 and even with the Z8 and Z9 pair I do miss the feel and shooting experience of both the D5 and D6. I had to sell the D6 to fund the Z9 but I do miss that camera.

And yup, both the D5 and D6 are pretty amazing when shooting in low light.

I also miss my D6 and even with the Z8 and Z9 pair I do miss the feel and shooting experience of both the D5 and D6. I had to sell the D6 to fund the Z9 but I do miss that camera.

And yup, both the D5 and D6 are pretty amazing when shooting in low light.
I was trying to sell my D6 to pay for my Z9 but I decided after a number of months I could manage financially keeping it. I think holding on to it was meant to be.

Yeah, tough scenario. With mirrorless being in full swing, it’s nearly impossible to recoup a decent amount of money, considering the original price. The D5 was the last version I had before switching to mirrorless (Sony) and despite how good the new cameras are and the software, I have yet to shoot anything that can produce cleaner files in low light and crazy high ISO than that D5. If you can afford to keep it, that’s awesome.

I can relate to your reluctance to part with the D6. The DSLRs have niches the Z’s don’t. The D850, for example, is the only camera (that I’m aware of) that can reverse color or b&w film. Maybe the D5/6 can also, don’t know. With the huge inventory of negatives on hand I need to keep it for this reason alone. The resale value of DSLRs admittedly is falling and at some point you won’t realize any return from your purchase that you can accept. Dealers are going to “low-ball” you on trade-ins or buy-backs but then we should know that. They put it in their showcases, double the price and make 200% profit….on top of the original sale to you. That’s the business. Old technology sells like cold mashed potato sandwiches…😝 We don’t think of cars, computers, TV’s, clothing, etc., as investments. It’s last week’s newspaper. But like you, I will hang on to my DSLR (D850 and Df also). When I no longer have need for them I will let them go…

Your decision makes sense, and what a blessing that you can keep it (financially speaking). I have a D850 and just got a Z6, but I have to admit, at the used prices out there, I've been toying with getting a D6 for low light situations. It still seems a highly useful tool with a clear niche that hasn't yet been covered by Nikon's newer cameras.

Thanks for sharing your decision. Enjoy your D6 for many more years, in good health!

I hear yah! I've tried a couple times to sell my D6 -- to offset the huge costs of new gear in the past few years! -- and trade in amounts offered in Canada are simply insulting. Was AGAIN in the past couple of weeks thinking of trying to sell again since with the Z 600mm going on my northern trip in the spring the D6 won't work as a backup camera, and I really can't bring the second anchor weight lens the 180-400 (which would be for back up if the Z9 crashes and I have to use the D6....), but put the idea away again given the D6 remains one of the world's finest cameras and with the 180-400 and 105 and an 85 still with F mount I can get a lot of use out of it (when I don't have to worry about damn carry on luggage :) ). I've also got a sentimentality thing going on with gear (there was another post about that) and hate to get rid of 'beloved' gear. I still regret selling my D200 LOL AND, I can't stand to give away my D3, so it's on 'long term loan' to a friend. :) Anyway, I'm keeping the D6, even though I've decided I'll sell my remaining kidney to have the Z8 as backup for 'expeditions.' Hmmm, maybe the Zf would do the trick....

I hear yah! I've tried a couple times to sell my D6 -- to offset the huge costs of new gear in the past few years! -- and trade in amounts offered in Canada are simply insulting. Was AGAIN in the past couple of weeks thinking of trying to sell again since with the Z 600mm going on my northern trip in the spring the D6 won't work as a backup camera, and I really can't bring the second anchor weight lens the 180-400 (which would be for back up if the Z9 crashes and I have to use the D6....), but put the idea away again given the D6 remains one of the world's finest cameras and with the 180-400 and 105 and an 85 still with F mount I can get a lot of use out of it (when I don't have to worry about damn carry on luggage :) ). I've also got a sentimentality thing going on with gear (there was another post about that) and hate to get rid of 'beloved' gear. I still regret selling my D200 LOL AND, I can't stand to give away my D3, so it's on 'long term loan' to a friend. :) Anyway, I'm keeping the D6, even though I've decided I'll sell my remaining kidney to have the Z8 as backup for 'expeditions.' Hmmm, maybe the Zf would do the trick....
It's nice to hear others admit their decisions about cameras are not entirely rational which also includes buying the absolutely latest equipment.

Steven, One of the points that jhallettbc made was very interesting. That was “shooting experience”. There’s a hint of sentimentality with the gear that has brought us success and confidence. The working pros have a different perspective to remain competitive. Cameras and lenses are simply tools of their trade. Gear that promises improvements in productivity and quality gets the nod. I totally get that.
I’ve been through the same DSLR gear upgrades as others on this site. From D100>200>7000>750>850s&500. Then I added a Df that seems so familiar to my first Nikon “F” which I still have.
My older gear has been a lot of places with me. It’s familiar in my hands. None have failed or had “recalls”. My Z9 quit after one year. Motherboard and on/off shutter switch defective. One week out of warranty. I also bought a Z8. Shortly thereafter it was recalled for the lens release button. Now another recall for defective strap lugs. I’ve dealt with the Z8/9 issues. That these things happened in the first place affects my confidence in reliability. I can take my 850 or Df anywhere and know they will function as designed and not let me down. I’m sure you feel the same way about your D6.
To wrap my head around all of this I have to understand these top tier “Z”s are different animals. The quantum increase in capabilities carries with it the possibility for failures from added technology. It is what it is… I’m not throwing my DSLRs and “F” lenses under the bus….. they’re old friends.

My Z9 quit after one year. Motherboard and on/off shutter switch defective. One week out of warranty.
Curious if they made exception and repaired it without cost to you? I had a failure many years ago with an D2X (I think that was it) and another failure on a zoom lens. I returned both to the place I purchased, they got both repaired at no cost, no hassle. Both were past time warranty.

Curious if they made exception and repaired it without cost to you? I had a failure many years ago with an D2X (I think that was it) and another failure on a zoom lens. I returned both to the place I purchased, they got both repaired at no cost, no hassle. Both were past time warranty.
Charles, Nikon eventually reconsidered and treated it as a warranty repair. When the Z9 quit (and I do mean quit) I tried everything to get it to turn on. Called Adorama and they suggested the Nikon website to get the repair authorization, etc. Nikon required my credit card # before they would go further. I wrote out the problem on their site and was told it was going to be $597….🤬 Seriously? I called Adorama back. They were not happy. Adorama got the Nikon rep involved. She had a “come to Jesus” conversation with Nikon repair. They agreed to treat it as a warranty repair…… But all the hassle? 😤

I learned long ago that if you're going to sell camera gear do it ASAP. Prices only go in one direction. As to offers being "insulting" that suggests one is taking it personally. It's not personal. Just the realities of market conditions. Better to have a few extra dollars to offset new purchases than to have an unused piece of kit sitting on the shelf collecting dust. For me at least. I do read comments that people feel nostalgic every time they open the closet and see the dusty thing sitting there. I just feel aggravated.

I had fully intended to keep shooting DSLR for the rest of my photography life. With D5/850/500 in my kit I was perfectly content. Due to EVF lag and reports of the poor AF performance in action situations I avoided the switch to MILC. I eagerly awaited the release of the Z-mount 600mm f4 so I could scoop up and f-mount version at a bargain. And if the Z9 had come out as a 20-24MP body I'd likely have one now and still be shooting DSLR. But when the Z9 came out shutterless, high resolution, and lower cost than D5/6 I ordered one. No regrets. And now with all of the lens options(including f-mount) it's even better yet. The only thing I miss about DSLR is group AF area and the ability to shoot with 1.2 crop factor.

Yep, same sentiment here as others have stated above. Sold my D5 to help purchase my Z9 and to this day I think would still take the D5 for overall subject tracking and ease of use. For sure lots more settings on the Z9 and likely more potential with future firmware updates but for this guy I just can't seem to get the results like I could with the D5. Same for the D850 I also previously owned. No sense in keeping both in my opinion as they are two entirely different creatures. I would likely end up using one of them a majority of the time and the other would sit.

Was just outside a few minutes ago in the dark documenting the snowplow tracks that destroyed my mailbox. Couldn't wait until morning as the tracks might disappear overnight.

I also continue to enjoy my D6, usually on the 500 PF or with the 70-200 f2.8E or 58 f1.4G. Admittedly, the 800 PF on a Z9 is the superior for obvious reasons (with FW 4.1 notably)....
Nonetheless, the D6 autofocus is simpler to use particularly in snapshots on fleeting subjects. As for handling, IMHO the D6 represents the pinnacle of Nikon's DSLR era in it's finely tuned design so pleasing in the hand and almost instant AF lock-on, with the legendary lowlight image quality....

Obviously the values some of us place on our favourite tools carries sentimental overtures ;) I could go on praising the D6 but much has been said already :)

Thanks 'fcotterill' for all the links to the D6. I totally agree with what you say about our favourite tools carry sentimental overtures. Here is a prime example. I love the sound of the shutter on the D6--hearing it makes me feel like I'm a real photographer. Don't get that feeling from the Z9. I have to have some sound so I use the digital shutter sound--not quite the same thing! Even though the EV has advantages, mainly for me in the live histogram, I will always prefer the experience of the optical viewfinder.

Yes agree on the tactile and auditory feedback using a DSLR. As we all know, the Z9 works in a new paradigm with silent shutter, wysiwyg, full screen AF coverage... And more....
The pattern recognition in the D6 with its updated firmware holds interesting surprises. I continue to be impressed by the fidelity of eye recognition on many bird species: using 3D Tracking AF (face/eye recognition are turned on for 3D, Auto, and Group modes). This AF stickiness places the D6 far ahead of any of the other DSLRs, D5 included.
In a Nikon AF video back then [>20:00] Moose Peterson flagged this feature ie improved AF stickiness in subject tracking (attributed to the 2021 D6 firmware update).

Traded my D500 in on the Z9. Still have my D4 and D850 still love both and use both. For low light D4 is my first choice. Agree there is something about hearing the D4 shutter. Have no plans in moving on from the D4 or the D850. Both have worked for me in the past and I’m sure they won’t let me down in the future. Guess as you get use to your tools and learn to use them it’s hard to let them go. I’m sure as I become more confident and comfortable with the Z9 my affection for it will grow. Between me wife and I we have 11 F mounts and they will probably get replaced if they fail.

Back