Capture One Catalog Confusion

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am thoroughly confused regarding Capture One Catalogs/Folders...clearly don't understand how this works. I've read all of the tutorials on-line from Capture One, but I'm clearly missing something.

I recently purchased a new 4TB SSD to use as my main drive for photographs as my old drive was getting too small. I copied all of the files from my old drive over to Capture One and then synchronized all of the folders with Capture One. The files show up fine on the new drive, but none of the previous edits were copied even though they show up fine on the old drive.

In the folder structure both drives show up under the same catalog and as they were copied, have the same folder structure.

How do I set up a duplicate Hard Drive so everything, including folder structure and edits is copied over to the new drive?

If you just want to migrate the images, so use your new drive instead of your old drive, it's fairly easy. In the Library tab in C1, there is a section labelled Folders. If I understand correctly what you've done, you'll have two hierarchies of folders: 'old drive' with all its subfolders, and 'new drive' with the identical set of subfolders. In the Catalog, the images are linked to the actual files on disk. So each image in C1 (the preview and the edits) points to a file on disk. When C1 needs the full resolution file (for example when you want to export, or use a luminosity mask) it uses that link to find the file on disk. C1 assumes that you browse and edit your images using the Catalog collections, rather than going straight into Folders. Here is how to test: go to a Collection in the Library tab, pick an image, and right-click on it. On the menu that appears, choose 'Show in finder' (those are Mac terms; if you're using Windows it will probably be a little different). I suspect that the Finder will show the image on your old disk.

What you need to do is this: in the Library tab, find the top level folder of your old drive. Right click, and select 'Locate...'. In the dialog box, navigate to the same top folder but on your new drive. With a little bit of luck that points C1 to the new drive for all images...it will take some time to process the change, and your disks will be working overtime, but it should work. If not...it gets harder but can be done. Good luck!

Do yourself a favor, buy this - https://rawcaptureguide.gumroad.com/l/captureone23guide - while not free, it's very inexpensive - I think less than $20 (I have no vested interest in this). But it's extrodinarily complete and written in plain, well written English by a Dane who used to work and write (still does) for Phase One (Capture One). I've used the guide which is updated with every new major CP-1 release. I regularly refer to the guide to enhance my CP-1 knowledge. It's easier to use and find things than the CP-1 support website.

Also, while there are tutorials at the Capture One Online Learning Hub for you to read as you have discovered, there are recorded webinars that are more complete and more instructive. Some deal directly with the very issue that you're dealing with. See this - https://support.captureone.com/hc/e...olid-strategies-for-better-image-organization

Back