Card Issue

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DavidT

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I had a CFE-A card in a Sony a1 fail. I had a 5 frame burst and the camera was continuing to try and write the 5 files. It wouldn't stop so I turned the camera on and off and it did the same thing. So I removed the batteries and turned the camera back on and then it said some kind of error and to reformat the card. Not wanting to lose anything I didn't and swapped to using the card in slot 2. The camera kept shooting and no more issues. I downloaded the card and the images are still on it. I reformatted in the camera but haven't tried it yet.

Anyone else have this happen with a card? Is the card done or was it just an odd glitch?

What kind of card and what size? In testing cards, the specifics make a big difference.

Normally I would try a Deep Format or a Full Format using software or a camera setting for that purpose. One of the benefits of CFExpress cards is they continually exclude bad sectors to avoid problems.

You also might try checking with customer service for the card maker. It's a way to test their response when you have an issue and they often have tools that can help troubleshoot problems.

What kind of card and what size? In testing cards, the specifics make a big difference.

Normally I would try a Deep Format or a Full Format using software or a camera setting for that purpose. One of the benefits of CFExpress cards is they continually exclude bad sectors to avoid problems.

You also might try checking with customer service for the card maker. It's a way to test their response when you have an issue and they often have tools that can help troubleshoot problems.
CFE-A, Angelbird 1TB. Never had a card problem before after 100's of thousands of files.

Not a fan of their cards. With the recurrent problems of compatibility and reported stories like this, it might be better to stick with more reliable brands such as Delkin or Prograde, IMHO.

I had a CFE-A card in a Sony a1 fail. I had a 5 frame burst and the camera was continuing to try and write the 5 files. It wouldn't stop so I turned the camera on and off and it did the same thing. So I removed the batteries and turned the camera back on and then it said some kind of error and to reformat the card. Not wanting to lose anything I didn't and swapped to using the card in slot 2. The camera kept shooting and no more issues. I downloaded the card and the images are still on it. I reformatted in the camera but haven't tried it yet.

Anyone else have this happen with a card? Is the card done or was it just an odd glitch?
Funny you post this David , last time I used my A1 with a Pergear CFE-A in slot 1 it got down to 4 remaining files to write and got stuck. It showed the flickering as though writing but the number stayed at 4 so I switched off and on , it then seemed ok . It's never done this before so I'm hoping it's not a sign the card or reader is on the way out, maybe just a glitch ? All images seemed to be on card

Funny you post this David , last time I used my A1 with a Pergear CFE-A in slot 1 it got down to 4 remaining files to write and got stuck. It showed the flickering as though writing but the number stayed at 4 so I switched off and on , it then seemed ok . It's never done this before so I'm hoping it's not a sign the card or reader is on the way out, maybe just a glitch ? All images seemed to be on card
Exactly what mine did. I have a 1TB Pergear CFE-A I use in my a9III and it has had 100's of thousands of images written to it without issue. Fingers crossed but I will reach out about a new card this week and see what Angelbird has to say.

Back