Card Reader for CF express card

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a Lexar XQD reader that reads my Sony XQD cards. I have purchased a Nikon Z8
which uses an Extreme pro CF express card. My Lexar XQD reader will not read my
CF express card. Do I need to buy a specific CF express card reader? What should I Do?
Thanks for your help and comments!!!

One thing to consider when choosing a card reader is the connection protocol if you wish to realize the transfer speed of CF Express B. You want USB 3.2 2x2 or Thunderbolt. Anything slower bottlenecks the faster cards. BH website has a filter for this attribute which is helpful. Such readers are quite reasonably priced now.
Of course your computer will need to support the appropriate protocol. If you are using Mac M1, choose a Thunderbolt reader as M1 does not properly support fastest USB protocols.

Last edited:
Many — or perhaps most — card readers read either CFe Type B or XQD, but not both formats.

Sony makes a card reader that will read both CFe Type B and XQD if that is useful for you. I have had good luck with it.

Delkin (and I expect others) makes a reader that reads CFe Type B and has a second slot for SD.

Many of us use the Sony card reader MRW-G1...............
I had a bad experience with the SONY card reader. It only worked for about four months. I was using it for the Delkin Black CF Express cards. Since then, I purchased a Delkin reader and it has been working fine for me. It also has a SD card reader on the side. It could be that I ended up with a bad reader.

If you also need additional ports (and who doesn't) the OWC thunderbolt 3 (4?) Pro dock has got good reviews on fast CF Express card reading, don't think it does XQD. Not cheap. One of the few docks with CF Express reader, most others just with SD.

Back