Cardinal crop in?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The body position I thought makes the bird look distorted. Head looks oversized, wings too small, etc. But cropped in on the face maybe?
Cardinal Full SF.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
cardinal TC sm 2.jpeg

I don't think the crop in does much. Maybe if you changed it to vertical. Option 3 would be to add canvas and fill the top to give some headroom.

As you put this photograph under the heading "Critique", I allow myself this proposal.

Just add a little bit space on top (using PS content aware fill for example) to get as much distance top and bottom between the bird and the border of the picture.
Note : there's no color space in your file. I've just added Adobe RVB and the colours pop up ;)

One proposal:

Cardinal Full SF copy.jpg

Last edited:
Just add a little bit space on top (using PS content aware fill for example) to get as much distance top and bottom between the bird and the border of the picture.
Note : there's no color space in your file. I've just added sRVB and the colours pop up ;)

One proposal:

View attachment 54686
Wow I like what you did with the colors, but I don't know how to do that (added sRVB) .

Wow I like what you did with the colors, but I don't know how to do that (added sRVB) .
My bad, I've assigned Adobe RGB, not sRGB (but this changes nothing).

I've downloaded your picture and when I load it into PS I get this message, which mention that you have no RGB profile assigned to the file.
In this case the software you use to open the file doesn't know which color profile to use. Same thing in your navigator (i.e. "Don't color manage" if you let it without any RSG space).
Thus, I've assigned "Adobe RGB".

Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 17.12.04.png

It gets complicated when it comes to color space. The internet usually expects srgb and that is a safe choice for posting online. Depending on the browser and whether or not it is color-managed, you can get unwanted results with no color space imbedded or with other color spaces. Sometimes a viewer's browser will default to whatever their system/monitor is set for. It's kind of the wild west so for the web it's best to convert to srgb and imbed the profile. Note, once an image is in srgb you don't get any improvement by then switching it to another color space. It is 'baked in.'

My first thought when I opened this thread was, "Wow, what a great shot, capturing the bird in a moment of directional change."

Now, I have to admit I like the addition of space on the top and the addition of a color profile. I am a geezer, so I had to look a tie or two to see the difference in the color, but the addition of content aware space above the bird is very obvious and effective to these old eyes.

Nice capture.

It gets complicated when it comes to color space. The internet usually expects srgb and that is a safe choice for posting online. Depending on the browser and whether or not it is color-managed, you can get unwanted results with no color space imbedded or with other color spaces. Sometimes a viewer's browser will default to whatever their system/monitor is set for. It's kind of the wild west so for the web it's best to convert to srgb and imbed the profile. Note, once an image is in srgb you don't get any improvement by then switching it to another color space. It is 'baked in.'

Yea, I'm new to the whole concept of color management, and at this point still makes my head spin. (yes, I'm an old dude) I have not purchased PS yet, and mostly using Capture NX-D because it's free and I thought something to use during my initial learning phase. I shot the image with a Nikon D7500 and a Tamron 18-400, so have not yet invested in expensive gear either. But I learn a lot from this forum, so thanks very much.

Yea, I'm new to the whole concept of color management, and at this point still makes my head spin. (yes, I'm an old dude) I have not purchased PS yet, and mostly using Capture NX-D because it's free and I thought something to use during my initial learning phase. I shot the image with a Nikon D7500 and a Tamron 18-400, so have not yet invested in expensive gear either. But I learn a lot from this forum, so thanks very much.

I'd expect nx-d (or I think you now have nx-studio) to have options in the preferences for working color space and also for color space to convert to on export. If you shoot raw you can edit in a larger color space, see what they offer, but convert to srgb upon export for the web and imbed the prolile if it lets you. For printing see what your printing house says it will accept.

As you put this photograph under the heading "Critique", I allow myself this proposal.

Note : there's no color space in your file. I've just added Adobe RVB and the colours pop up ;)

One proposal:

View attachment 54686
For me, a big improvement. I might even move the bird (via crop and CA addition of canvas) to the L some more.

One proposal:

View attachment 54686
I like this edit. I might even crop a little closer on the L side to move the bird to the L and to minimize the dark OOF branch in the upper L corner.

Back