Carrying camera and heavy lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Steve, I just watched your video about when to use a tripod, monopod or hand hold. This may seem like a silly question but at the 5 min and 23 sec. spot on the video you are talking about using a monopod and walking away carrying your camera and very large lens on your shoulders. How were you securing that to your shoulders and back?

It look like the lens plate is mounted to a head on the monopod. I suspect that Steve is using a head that can hold that amount of dead weight, and the monopod used elsewhere in the video also looks quite sturdy (i.e. large diameter top leg). I have seen others carry their gear this way. The lens is resting on your back, but it is firmly secured to the monopod. I am guessing that one would need to be careful about how quickly they turn or move so as not to put too much stress on the plate/head given the weight distribution.

--Ken

Steve, I just watched your video about when to use a tripod, monopod or hand hold. This may seem like a silly question but at the 5 min and 23 sec. spot on the video you are talking about using a monopod and walking away carrying your camera and very large lens on your shoulders. How were you securing that to your shoulders and back?
I was using the Wimberley mono gimbal head and it was on a monopod. The little thing is tough and can handle the weight with no problem. It's a side-mount and that allows it to work as you see in the video. Most of the weight is on my shoulders though, the monopod head carries very little. That head makes carrying big glass on a monopod way better than anything I have ever tried :)

I did a review on the monogimbal if you want to take a peek, it's a pretty cool little gadget :)

Back