Carrying gear on a bicycle

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi folks.

One of my local nature reserves closes the main gates to cars between June and September due to the amount of bears, and after that bicycle becomes the most efficient way in and around.

If there a bag that can carry my Z8 + 500pf attached and allow for quick access?

The roads are a mix of paved, smooth gravel, and bumpy gravel, so not mountain biking terrain, but I use my gravel bike, rather than my road bike, due to the [at times] bumpy surface.

Thanks all.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't want my camera strapped to my chest, which rules those out

Then there's really no way to keep the camera and lens safe AND have quick access. Whatever you carry is going to require taking a bag or pack off your shoulder and unzipping it. I suppose you might try some kind of messenger-style pack that you can swing around to the front quickly, but in my experience, those throw your balance off when you're biking and get in the way.

I know it is way more of a solution than you are looking for, but I easily carry my long lenses and tripod n a padded wood box fitting into my cargo bikes factory panniers. Highly recommended Surly Big Easy.
95137632_3058105534247467_731866855349682176_n.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I know it is way more of a solution than you are looking for, but I easily carry my long lenses and tripod n a padded wood box fitting into my cargo bikes factory panniers. Highly recommended Surly Big Easy.
Elegant solution, though I prefer a backpack as I would rather absorb the vibration than subject my expensive bodies and lenses to continuous and repeated jarring.

I do not have a particular product to recommend. However, perhaps a bike luggage rack mounted above the rear wheel or on both sides of the rear wheel. Then a camera bag that can be strapped to it or placed in the rack. There is likely a bag by Peak Design that could work. Access would not be that quick, however.

It sounds like you already have your bikes and I don’t know what would be compatible with them. If you prefer a backpack there are numerous ones that work. I generally use a standard hiking backpack when going this route. Even an Osprey Daylight Plus will hold the Z8 with 500mm PF, just a note hiking packs don’t have padding to protect the gear. If your bike has the capability to mount a rear rack, you can attach a metal basket to it and put a peak design camera cube inside. The large camera cube is a perfect fit for large basket from Lectric bikes and provides quicker access to the camera. Just make sure to add a cushion layer to the bottom to help absorb impacts of bumps. Another option is the bicycle cargo trailer. I have the Schwinn one and it will easily haul a lot of gear behind the bike, even a cooler if you plan to be out for a while. You can buy a cushion for the pet hauler version that fits the floor perfectly and provides plenty of cushion for your gear.

Though it is not super fast access, I think a camera backpack is the best. I bike sometimes as well and tried a sling bag (ThinkTank Turnstyle 20 v2). The problem is, while it hangs conveniently on my back while walking, it tends to swing off my back and hang uncomfortably below my chest when biking.

I have the perfect solution for you and I am holding one in my hands now (actually it is in my lap while I type). Single strap messenger bag.

The bag was designed by and for bicycle messengers . The bag is heavy duty and well=padded and plenty large enough to carry the equipment you are using and even larger. It is made of waterproof fabric and I have used it in the rain to carry a computer and change of clothes for work. It was built for professional bike messengers and is designed for full time professional use. They built these to last. Mine looks as good as new and no sign of wear.

The bag was made by Dank bags, a custom bag maker located in Seattle.

I have owned one of them for about eight years and used it for commuting by bicycle. It has a substantial main compartment plus a zippered compartment large enough to hold a full size laptop. A large flap goes over the top and is secured by clips with plenty of room for expansion. There are also two external compartments for smaller items.

The messenger bag slings over the shoulder using one well-padded strap. It rides in the middle of your back held in place by a cross body retaining strap. It is very stable and does not interfere with cycling and is quite stable and comfortable when riding. A large clip in front makes it easy to remove and reattach the bag.

They want $180 for the large size (recommended) but there is a three month wait.

If you are in immediate need and they can't supply you one more quickly I would consider selling you mine and I can order another. I love this bag and would not want to let it go unless I was able to get another. My bag looks as good as new.

If interested send me a PM and I can take some pictures and we can discuss.

i should mention that i have done a lot of Long distance cycling i have also commuted by bike a lot. I also run a bicycle event that involves 150 miles and 10,000 ft of climbing in one day.

bike messengers use messenger bags because they are easy to get on and off. A well designed messenger bag is also capable of carrying a large load. You can also access it without dismounting or removing the helmet, They also stay in place while riding.

For really long distance rides I prefer a behind-seat bag made by Carradice, an English company. These bags come with a frame to support their large bags and they can carry all that I would need on a long distance event. Mounted behind the seat they offer the least wind resistance. These bags can also be fairly easily removed from the bike.

For shorter distances I prefer the messenger bag because it is comfortable to carry and easy to get on and off. You can access it without leaving the bicycle seat by simply detaching the retaining strap and swinging the bag around in front. When finished, replace the camera, close the bag, swing it back over your shoulder and clip the retaining strap back in and you are ready to keep on riding.

For touring and carrying larger quantity of things the next step is rear panniers. Ortlieb makes excellent panniers that are waterproof and can also be easily detached from the bike for security. These also keep the weight down low which helps with stability.

I never liked front or top tube bags. Too much wind resistance,

I prefer a sling type bag or messenger bag for the same reason others have mentioned above. The challenge with many of these bags is that they are too short for a lens mounted on a camera.

One thing you need to be careful of is carrying too much weight in a backpack. I've carried a 600mm f/4 in a backpack with a tripod on the handlebars. A large backpack significantly changes your center of gravity. With a much higher center of gravity, you are inherently less stable and need to be much more careful while you learn to handle the balance. It's also harder to regain your balance if you slip on loose sand or gravel.

I highly recommend using a bicycle for covering distance effectively. I photograph at a large manmade wetlands area on a regular basis. I'm frequently covering 4-6 miles, and high temperatures can be a risk in the summer.

A sling type bag might work. For something mounted on the bike I would first consider adding a sturdy rear rack and then attaching your photo bag or backpack to the rack. I would also want to find a strong kickstand to avoid having the bike tip over or needing to always lay it on the ground.

With all the interest in bike camping overland there is a great deal in the way of racks that are available for mountain bikes but that will work on any bike.

The best value in backpacks and cases and bags overall are the Ruggard ones sold by B&H. Start by deciding the interior dimensions needed for you kit and then use the BH Photo website filters to get a short list.

A sling type bag might work. For something mounted on the bike I would first consider adding a sturdy rear rack and then attaching your photo bag or backpack to the rack. I would also want to find a strong kickstand to avoid having the bike tip over or needing to always lay it on the ground.

With all the interest in bike camping overland there is a great deal in the way of racks that are available for mountain bikes but that will work on any bike.

The best value in backpacks and cases and bags overall are the Ruggard ones sold by B&H. Start by deciding the interior dimensions needed for you kit and then use the BH Photo website filters to get a short list.

Concur on the sling bag. The Dank bags are a bit more expensive but well worth it for carrying expensive camera equipment safely. They are more than big enough to handle a long lens with camera attached. These function as backpacks

The behind the seat mount Carradice I use is the Nelson Longflap. it is quite big and has an expandable top. Not sure it is big enough for the lens and camera but they have even larger choices. These bags are favored by Randonneurs who ride ultramarathon distances and often ride all day and through the night. Those of us who are more close to normal refer to them as "going to the dark side". If they like them you know they are tough, waterproof and reliable.

A back rack is essential for carrying rear panniers. I use one of those on my rain bike and the Ortleib panniers are nice because they are made of the same material used by heavy duty kayaking dry bags and they also clip on and off easily for security.

Carrying a lot of weight on your back for long distance is problematic because it is stressful. Shorter distances and lesser weights are less of a problem.

Keep in mind that if you ride a bike over gravel and in wet conditions the wheels spray dirt and mud. If you don't have a fender mounted your carrying gear wherever it is is going to get plastered. You want something well protected from the elements. The Dank bags were designed for bike messengers riding in all sorts of weather in Seattle. They can take anything you throw at them.

Being both a cyclist and a photographer I feel your pain (so to speak 😉). I’ve not had a great deal of time spent on bike with camera/long lenses but when commuting I find it important to carry load centered and close to body.

I’ve always used the higher end Timbuk2 messenger backpacks (that sadly they don’t appear to make any more). Any load I carried stay where it needed to be to be safe and efficient on the bike, be it a change of clothes to 20 pounds of stuff.

With that in mind I just recently found, for me, the ideal solution to being able to carry my D6 attached to my 300 2.8 vII in a backpack format that is both comfortable and stays put, the Glass Limo by ThinkTank. Well padded with some extra room for a few more small items. Good strap system with chest strap and waist belt (padded).

And on ThinkTank's website they show pictures of a Z9 with the Z 400 2.8 in the bag in similar fashion that I carry my gear so should fit the 500 PF with Z8.

Though I’ve not tried this setup on the bike it may be something to consider.

screenshot of strap system.
IMG_9940.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Many years ago, I began using a bacpack when I was camping in state parks , leaving early in the morning my wife in our VR with my bike and it worked very well with my D500 and 500 pf, until last november in Florida when I crashed severely on asphalt fracturing my collarbone; I was very lucky for myself and for the equipement because my new Z8 was safe thanks to my smallrig L-Bracket which was severely damaged; last week I was in a national park in Quebec and I used the same protection with the same bag reinforced on the inside to receive my Z8 and my new 600 pf. My collarbone is ok now :)

Back