If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BirdDogDad

Supporting Member
Marketplace
While repeating my earlier caveat of not being an accomplished wildlife photographer, the kind and gracious comments received about my bear pix (thank you all) have encouraged me to post a few more of a different subject. This is a young female bobcat that visited my house regularly over a couple of weeks last winter. I watched her stalk and kill several squirrels (we still have plenty left), quite something to see. I believe the bobcat had a nest of kits nearby, as she would always come from the same direction and trot back that way with the deceased squirrel in her mouth. It is rare to see a bobcat under any conditions, certainly more so in daylight. I attribute this to her being quite young, having kits, and also having easy access to stupid squirrels. Or maybe because of my alma mater's mascot, a bobcat. The first two pics were taken through double-pane windows, turned out better than I would have expected. The last two were taken on a sunny afternoon when I took my dogs out for their daily play session. The dogs took off at a run, I saw a furry flash, and realized the cat had been squirreling again and I didn't know she was there. She escaped my ferocious (!) Labradors by rocketing up a tree, and kindly posed for me until my arms got tired. I took the dogs in the house and she soon made her way down the tree. Haven't seen her since. All photos Nikon 200-500, D750.

_DSC2627 ret.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Bobcat.jpg

_DSC2727.jpg

_DSC2665.jpg

While repeating my earlier caveat of not being an accomplished wildlife photographer, the kind and gracious comments received about my bear pix (thank you all) have encouraged me to post a few more of a different subject. This is a young female bobcat that visited my house regularly over a couple of weeks last winter. I watched her stalk and kill several squirrels (we still have plenty left), quite something to see. I believe the bobcat had a nest of kits nearby, as she would always come from the same direction and trot back that way with the deceased squirrel in her mouth. It is rare to see a bobcat under any conditions, certainly more so in daylight. I attribute this to her being quite young, having kits, and also having easy access to stupid squirrels. Or maybe because of my alma mater's mascot, a bobcat. The first two pics were taken through double-pane windows, turned out better than I would have expected. The last two were taken on a sunny afternoon when I took my dogs out for their daily play session. The dogs took off at a run, I saw a furry flash, and realized the cat had been squirreling again and I didn't know she was there. She escaped my ferocious (!) Labradors by rocketing up a tree, and kindly posed for me until my arms got tired. I took the dogs in the house and she soon made her way down the tree. Haven't seen her since. All photos Nikon 200-500, D750.

View attachment 20343
View attachment 20344
View attachment 20345
View attachment 20346
Beautiful Shots Tom! I love the third one, đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Those are absolutely stunning! Great captures. If she shows back up I could use some squirrel control around my place! Beautiful pictures. Wow.
Many thanks, Bill. I'll put the word out to the cat community that Topeka is a squirrel dining destination. This young bobcat did in a number of our squirrels--fascinating, if a bit brutal, to watch. The cat would simply sit about ten feet away from one of the squirrels' favorite trees, making no effort to conceal herself. She simply waited until the squirrels got used to her, and soon a hapless squirrel would venture down from the tree. The cat went from stationary to missile mode in a flash, and chalk off one more squirrel. I was actually getting concerned that the cat would remove all our squirrels, but as soon as one vanished, another took its place. From where, I have no idea.