Caution with using SSD type drives

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Calson

SSD drives avoid the fragmentation problems with conventional hard drives but they have a limited number of writes to any sector. A pool of excess sectors or usually 20% is set aside so sectors heavily used can be replaced or remapped. SSD drives meant for enterprise use will have a larger amount of space devoted to this function.

I have been using only SATA hard drives in my two NAS devices. I was sent a notice by QNAP that made my dual hard drive and SSD drive NAS 951x about their new SSD management software that detects a failing SSD and alerts one to replace it. When a NAS is first installed it will have new SSD drives and so they can begin to fail at the same point in time and if two fail then the RAID 5 array will not be recoverable and data will be lost.

Food for thought if planning to have a NAS using only SSD drives for important files. Of course in the event of a burglary or a home fire then all bets are off.

Back