CF Express cards, is the Delkin Power any good?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

aringer

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have both a Delkin Black (512 GB) and a Delkin Power (2 TB). I have yet to max out the buffer with the Delkin Power, either shooting stills or video on my Z9 though don't do RAW video. So it depends on what type of shooting you do?
So far, just wildlife. With the new Z8, I'm wanting to learn how to do vide for short wildlife snippets in between shooting images.

I'm scratching my head, this 512GB card with 1730 read and 1540 write is only $179, a hundred bucks cheaper than the ProGrade cobalt I just bought with 325GB and the same read/write speeds. Am I missing something? I'm brand new to CF Express cards. Thanks
This is a very good value for a top notch, large capacity card. Highly recommended. I have a couple 325 gig Delkin Black, and a pair of the readers shown on the listing too. Delkin is top notch product, and they stand behind their products.

Yes - I have been using the Delkin Power 128 GB card for several years. Service is first rate if needed. I'm also using a Delkin reader.

That's a good deal on that card. Looks like a special promotion at B&H. Delkin does that regularly with a range of vendors.

The Delkin black card is a bit more durable. There may also be a difference in the minimum sustained write speed, but it's small. The reason to use Delkin Black is for 8k video - and even then the Delkin Power will be okay for some formats.

I have a pair of Delkin Power 128GB. I have used them in my D500 and a rented D850 and Z9. They perform quite well. The Blacks will be faster, but that's why they cost more. If you tend to be a high speed shutter masher as opposed to shooting in shorter bursts, it may be worthwhile to get the faster cards.

I'm scratching my head, this 512GB card with 1730 read and 1540 write is only $179, a hundred bucks cheaper than the ProGrade cobalt I just bought with 325GB and the same read/write speeds. Am I missing something? I'm brand new to CF Express cards. Thanks
you need to read the fine print. the MAXimum write is 1540. you want to use the sustained or MINimum write speed to evaluate the card.

also note this thread, looks like they just issued a newer version of this card:

The power cards should be good enough for video recording but are a bit slow for stills recording in 20fps raw and will give you a much lower buffer then a black card
What specs should I check to see the difference? That way I can learn for future comparisons. I have a Cobalt 325GB, I'm thinking of the POWER card as a second one.

you need to read the fine print. the MAXimum write is 1540. you want to use the sustained or MINimum write speed to evaluate the card.

also note this thread, looks like they just issued a newer version of this card:

Thanks!

What specs should I check to see the difference? That way I can learn for future comparisons. I have a Cobalt 325GB, I'm thinking of the POWER card as a second one.
You have to look at the fine print and look for the minimum sustained write speed. The up to speeds on the card is the theoretical burst speeds.

1300MB/s is the lowest minimum write speed for the largest buffer for stills

800MB/s for video. But if you're not doing 8k 60p recording but say 4k120p, the power cards is by far fast enough.

Always remember, with the Z9 and Z8, when taking about card shows you should always talk in SMWS (sustained minimum were speeds)

Last edited:
You have to look at the fine print and look for the minimum sustained write speed. The up to speeds on the card is the theoretical burst speeds.

1400MB/s is the lowest minimum write speed for the largest buffer for stills

800MB/s for video. But if you're not doing 8k 60p recording but say 4k120p, the power cards is by far fast enough.

Always remember, with the Z9 and Z8, when taking about card shows you should always talk in SMWS (sustained minimum were speeds)

Should I purchase it for just video on the Z8/9?
I like shooting H.265 120 4k oversampled, and I like the zoom idea which I belive is utilizing 8K

Should I purchase it for just video on the Z8/9?
I like shooting H.265 120 4k oversampled, and I like the zoom idea which I belive is utilizing 8K
That's a great price on a 1TB card. The 650 GB and larger cards are just short of the same speed as the Delkin Black. I have the 1TB card and have never had any issues with overheating during burst shooting. I have not tested it with video - but the minimum sustained write speed is fast enough that it should not be a problem.

Take a look at the Q&A on B&H. Both the Delkin rep and B&H staff say it is fine for 120p 4k video. I think that confirms the answer.

while don't sue me if i'm wrong, the key part of the spec is:

Sustained Write Speed: 1490 MB/s
Note MB is mega BYTES per second (capital B).

and if you look at the bitrates needed by various video formats supported by the z9, you'll fine the highest bitrate is 5780 Mbps. That's mega BITS per second (lowercase b), so divide by eight to get 722.5MB/s.
[[FX] 8256×4644; 60p]
Approx. 5780 Mbps​

so basically anything that can sustain 800MB/s should work fine for whatever video the Z9 can throw at it.

while don't sue me if i'm wrong, the key part of the spec is:

Note MB is mega BYTES per second (capital B).

and if you look at the bitrates needed by various video formats supported by the z9, you'll fine the highest bitrate is 5780 Mbps. That's mega BITS per second (lowercase b), so divide by eight to get 722.5MB/s.

so basically anything that can sustain 800MB/s should work fine for whatever video the Z9 can throw at it.
Thanks!!

Video requires less minimum sustained write speeds (850MB/s) then stills which is at least 1300MB/s. The numbers on the card are theoretical MAX write speeds.
they publish a minimum sustained as well ( 1490 MB/s for the card Joel was looking at ).

i suspect maximum the z9 can actually _sustain_ is about 15 fps (maybe a bit under that) lossless raw, which 15 fps * 65MB = 975 MB/s

EDIT: i kinda wonder if the z9 only gives the cfe-b one lane 🤔

they publish a minimum sustained as well ( 1490 MB/s for the card Joel was looking at ).

i suspect maximum the z9 can actually _sustain_ is about 15 fps (maybe a bit under that) lossless raw, which 15 fps * 65MB = 975 MB/s

EDIT: i kinda wonder if the z9 only gives the cfe-b one lane 🤔
The Z9 has PCIe 3.0 2 Lane and has a Max speed of 1.8GB/s. You can shoot unlimited stills with an adapted M.2 2230 SSD that writes in the 3.5GB/s range and can shoot lossless Raw with an unlimited buffer. I've seen it. If you shoot with a card with a min sus write speed of LESS then 1300MB/s in raw modules you buffer will be pretty then 80fps before slowing to 15fps. 1300-1500MB/s and your move that buffer to about 82-84fps

The most intensive video recording only needs about 850MB/s

The Z9 has PCIe 3.0 2 Lane and has a Max speed of 1.8GB/s. You can shoot unlimited stills with an adapted M.2 2230 SSD that writes in the 3.5GB/s range and can shoot lossless Raw with an unlimited buffer. I've seen it. If you shoot with a card with a min sus write speed of LESS then 1300MB/s in raw modules you buffer will be pretty then 80fps before slowing to 15fps. 1300-1500MB/s and your move that buffer to about 82-84fps

If it’s possible, why isn’t it offered by manufacturers? Does it get too hot?

Offer what? The Z9 can reach 1.8GB/s write speeds. That's why it can take advantage of the faster M.2 SSD drives.

PCIe 3.0 at 1.8GB/s is a hardware thing with the 2 Lane. The Z9 uses both lanes.

Oooh. You mean the card? I don't know. People i know that have made them haven't complained is any overheating. So o don't know why they don't make with the SSD's

Last edited:

the weird thing is i’ve personally verified all the following cards can sustain fast enough speeds to do 20fps lossless but none of them come close, in camera

#1 -- 1666.42MB/s Lexar Diamond 128GB (est 25fps) [SSD Review=1683.23]
#2 -- 1629.71MB/s Nexstorage B1 Pro 165BG (est 25fps)
#3 -- 1541.40MB/s Prograde Cobalt 650GB (est 23fps) [SSD Review=1420.52]
#4 -- 1527.24MB/s Delkin Black 650GB (est 23fps)
#5 -- 1543.18MB/s Delkin Black 512GB (est 23fps)

the weird thing is i’ve personally verified all the following cards can sustain fast enough speeds to do 20fps lossless but none of them come close, in camera
I'm not talking about CFE type B cards. I'm taking about an M.2 2230 SSD drive that writes at 3500MB/s placed in a CFE adapter for unlimited buffer. The M,2 drives are far superior then CFE type B cards.

This will run 20fps Raw lossless without hitting the buffer.

I personally use the Cobalt 325GB card. I get an 84 frame buffer in lossless Raw 20fps and unlimited in HE* (stopped at 1100+frames)

Back