CFexpress memory cards for D500

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Nikon advised me that the firmware update I.30 will enable me to use the CFexpress cards (Type B) in my D500 camera. Before I proceed, I want to know if anyone has experienced any glitches with using the CFexpress card in the D500, and can I switch between the CFexpress and XQD cards once I do the firmware update? I have not used or purchased either card yet. Thanks!

No concerns other than the reader. The CFE cards are faster than the D500 can handle so if it were me, I'd go the least expensive route, ie, if the XQD cards are cheaper (apples to apples) then I'd go with them. If the CFE cards are the better value, I'd get them. The CFE cards are a bit more future-proof, at least as of now.

You can use both CFE and XQD in the updated D500. However, do not expect a performance increase. I purchased a Delkin Power CFE 128GB that came with a CFE reader (already had a XQD reader) in part because I rent cameras from time to time for special trips so I use the CFE in the Z9 rental to get the most out of it. CFE on a D500 is more of a future proofing thing than anything else.

Just to clarify, there is a performance increase with the latest cards like the Delkin Black. The increase is modest and does not affect frame rate which is already high. You will potentially have faster download speeds from the card. You might see a decrease in maximum burst length from 200 frames today to a lesser amount if you choose a slower card. If you go with a slower or low performance CFExpress card like ProGrade Gold 128 GB cards, it's actually slower than a good XQD card. So it varies and depends on your choice of card. That's why I'd suggest a Delkin Black, Delkin Power, or ProGrade Cobalt.

CFExpress cards essentially future proof you a bit. Some of these cards are much faster on the latest cameras. There is a clear move to CFExpress and XQD is not going to be provided by manufacturers at some point in the future.

I'd also look for upcoming sales related to Black Friday / Cyber Monday. Memory cards are often discounted. I saw a deal yesterday from Roberts Camera on a 256GB Delkin Power card for $199. You may not need a card that large, but on a cost per GB basis it was a great deal.

Just to clarify, there is a performance increase with the latest cards like the Delkin Black. The increase is modest and does not affect frame rate which is already high. You will potentially have faster download speeds from the card. You might see a decrease in maximum burst length from 200 frames today to a lesser amount if you choose a slower card. If you go with a slower or low performance CFExpress card like ProGrade Gold 128 GB cards, it's actually slower than a good XQD card. So it varies and depends on your choice of card. That's why I'd suggest a Delkin Black, Delkin Power, or ProGrade Cobalt.

CFExpress cards essentially future proof you a bit. Some of these cards are much faster on the latest cameras. There is a clear move to CFExpress and XQD is not going to be provided by manufacturers at some point in the future.

I'd also look for upcoming sales related to Black Friday / Cyber Monday. Memory cards are often discounted. I saw a deal yesterday from Roberts Camera on a 256GB Delkin Power card for $199. You may not need a card that large, but on a cost per GB basis it was a great deal.
Thanks for your fulsome reply!

Back