"Changing Colors of the Tundra" - Churchill in the Fall

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I just got back from what was undoubtedly the trip of my life. I've always wanted to photograph polar bears, and when the chance came to go when the fall colors are incredible I was so grateful! I've seen lots of photos pop polar bears on ice and snow... They're gorgeous, iconic, everything you want in a wildlife photo... But that isn't the only habitat they live in. The sub-arctic, when the fall colors light up in September, is a magical place. Bears, Bird, colors, aurora, Beluga Whales... It's all there.

We went with Discover Churchill, and they were FANTASTIC hosts. Food was great, accommodations awesome, friendly and professional... Most of all LOTS of ethical wildlife shots, tons of experience in the arctic/sub-arctic tundra, and a very welcome emphasis on ethics, conservation, and teaching more than just "guiding". I feel like I came home with an education along with several thousand wonderful images. If you ever have a chance to go, I highly recommend them.

Here is a sample of the sights I saw:

Attachments

• Fall colours and a Polar Bear.jpeg
    Fall colours and a Polar Bear.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Churchill-0915-NIKON Z 9-IMG_139596-Enhanced-NR-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpeg
    Churchill-0915-NIKON Z 9-IMG_139596-Enhanced-NR-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Churchill-0910-NIKON Z 9-IMG_119225-Edit.jpeg
    Churchill-0910-NIKON Z 9-IMG_119225-Edit.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Churchill-0911-NIKON Z 9-IMG_129055-Edit-Edit-Edit-1.jpeg
    Churchill-0911-NIKON Z 9-IMG_129055-Edit-Edit-Edit-1.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Churchill-0911-NIKON Z 9-IMG_126398-Edit-Edit-1.jpeg
    Churchill-0911-NIKON Z 9-IMG_126398-Edit-Edit-1.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Churchill Aurora-0911-NIKON Z6_3-IMG_131297 (1)-1.jpeg
    Churchill Aurora-0911-NIKON Z6_3-IMG_131297 (1)-1.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Churchill Whales-0930--IMG_145047-Edit-Edit-Edit-1.jpeg
    Churchill Whales-0930--IMG_145047-Edit-Edit-Edit-1.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Churchill-0911-NIKON Z 9-IMG_121975.jpeg
    Churchill-0911-NIKON Z 9-IMG_121975.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 15
Could you please repost this with the full image inserted, the site uses 1200 pixels across, unless you don't want to do that of course? It's nicer to see it large. Also, we now have a new forum just for destinations and this really would be better there. I'm heading out to photo polar bears in the snow in late October. Were these shot from the bus or ground? Just curious.

Could you please repost this with the full image inserted, the site uses 1200 pixels across, unless you don't want to do that of course? It's nicer to see it large. Also, we now have a new forum just for destinations and this really would be better there. I'm heading out to photo polar bears in the snow in late October. Were these shot from the bus or ground? Just curious.
Discover Churchill uses 8 passenger vans and you can get out and photograph from the ground..

I'd gladly move it to another forum, not sure how to do that, I guess I could delete and repost.

Discover Churchill uses 8 passenger vans and you can get out and photograph from the ground..

I'd gladly move it to another forum, not sure how to do that, I guess I could delete and repost.
I don't know how either, you can ask a moderator to do I think. We all have to get used to the new destinations forum. An 8-passengar van would not be bad, not too crowded.

I don't know how either, you can ask a moderator to do I think. We all have to get used to the new destinations forum. An 8-passengar van would not be bad, not too crowded.
There was 4 of us and our guide so it was really pretty awesome. We saw lots of bears, and most of all I was excited about the fall colors and the white bears. We spent the nights shooting Aurora, and one half day on Zodiacs with the Belugas.

Back