Changing lenses in humid environments

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Matt N

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I’m headed to Florida next month and taking my Z8 and two lenses with me. Should I be concerned about changing lenses in the field with the humid air? Any tips that might help?

Ok, I just thought that with weather sealed lenses that humid air generally stayed out of the inside, then removing the lens would let it all in. I guess I was overly worried :)

Ok, I just thought that with weather sealed lenses that humid air generally stayed out of the inside, then removing the lens would let it all in. I guess I was overly worried :)
That's exactly what happens when you keep your gear in a bag with the air conditioning turned down low at night. Try to match your gear and room temperature withing a few degrees of the outdoor temperature when you go outside first thing in the morning. If it's 78 degrees and humid outside, gear kept inside overnight at 68 degrees is subject to fogging.

I've also run into the issue after a couple of hours when gear is inside a zipped camera bag. All the padding of camera bags also serves as insulation. Get your camera temperature up to the ambient temperature. If there is a big difference in temperature, keep you camera in a plastic bag while it warms.

This issue is a lot more common in the warmer months. But when the inside of your lens is fogged, or your camera sensor fogs while switching to another lens - you may be done photographing for a while. Weather sealing can act in reverse and keep cool air sealed inside your camera and lens. It's better to take modest precautions the first day or two.

But when the inside of your lens is fogged, or your camera sensor fogs while switching to another lens - you may be done photographing for a while. Weather sealing can act in reverse and keep cool air sealed inside your camera and lens. It's better to take modest precautions the first day or two.
This is at the heart of my question. If the outside of your lens has reached ambient temperature but not the inside of a weather sealed lens, you can shoot just fine as long as you don’t disconnect your lens. That’s my understanding at least. So maybe a good rule is not to change lenses within the first couple of hours.

This is at the heart of my question. If the outside of your lens has reached ambient temperature but not the inside of a weather sealed lens, you can shoot just fine as long as you don’t disconnect your lens. That’s my understanding at least. So maybe a good rule is not to change lenses within the first couple of hours.
Precisely though the time course varies. Ideally, you take the equipment out in the environment and give it time to acclimate. The problems arise when you move in/out rapidly between environments. The time it takes to equilibrate varies depending on the conditions, size of lens, etc.

I’m headed to Florida next month and taking my Z8 and two lenses with me. Should I be concerned about changing lenses in the field with the humid air? Any tips that might help?
When traveling in the car, keep the windows open and air conditioning at a minimum.

I'd agree with the last part - go slow. I've had a lens fog internally but not externally. The classic case is the exterior of a lens warms first, and the interior is insulated by the seals and lens body. If a lens extends as you zoom or change focus, it could be sucking air into the lens. Sealing is not intended to prevent air movement. - just water and dust resistance.

Keep in mind the exact conditions that cause the inside of a lens to fog are the same as cause fogging on the interior of your camera. So when you remove a fogged lens to change to a better lens, you can get camera fogging to go with your lens fogging. At that point, you're done for a while.

It's a lot easier to make sure your gear warms before being exposed to warmer temperatures and high humidity. Don't count on camera or lens sealing.

Frankly, and despite the opinions of the esteemed forum members, I wouldn't. I work in the tropics, and as much as I try to equilibrate the temp, moisture stick to the sensors when changing lenses in the field. And because humidity is about 100%, it's not clearing. Ditto inside rear element. So I carry two lensed bodies.

The front element, no problem. It evaporates if fogged.

@Matt N

Back