Chat GPT (and presumeably others) Image Mining

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

dabhand16

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Can't find a way to message Admins so posting this here.

In a discussion about sites for sharing images I posted this site that I'm a member of:

Today they made this announcement:

We’ve blocked the ChatGPT crawler​

Google says that AI systems should be able to mine publishers’ work unless companies opt out. We don’t agree that that is the case, so we have opted out!

Is this a good idea and if so, could/should it be done here?

Last edited:
I use pixieset to host my photos and your post caused me to ask them what they do to block these new AI bots from mining the images. Here's there response:

Our tech team has investigated this, and has confirmed that while we have many security measures in place to protect your website content from bots and other crawlers, we do not currently have any tools to specifically block ChatGPT or other AI bots from scanning the images on your website. As AI technology is very new and changes quickly, it can be difficult to effectively block these bots, but I can assure you that we take the security of your images seriously. Our team will be looking into ways to better protect images against these new tools as they develop - I'll be sure to reach out if we have any information about this! I appreciate you taking the time to bring this to our attention.

I'd be interested in hearing from others how their chosen hosting platform is taking steps to protect against this type of threat.

Back