Cheetah brings down a catapulting/flipped Impala Ram. And why a Z9 & 400TC AND photographer don't always hit the mark.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Incredible sighting and incredible set of photos. Nobody needs to know about the frames where the camera lost focus, however frustrating that was. Just show the amazing ones, of which there are plenty!

That’s an incredible sequence! Congratulations! I have been to Naboisho, great place. How have you managed to see so many cheetah chases? Do you have a particular strategy? Did you use the tracking function on your camera for this sequence?

From an amazing successful hunt* by Cheetah Mum Namunyak after waiting 6 days for the perfect hunting strategy, my guide Martin and I also waited patiently for 3 days to capture the whole drama that took 30+ mins to finally subdue this big male and not before it regained consciousness and rose up many times before it was finally subdued.
(Will post from that sequence later)
Mum and her two 5 mth old cubs dined well this day.
Naboisho Conservancy, Mara- Kenya.

*I've shot probably over 100+ Cheetah hunts and this is now my 9th or 10th time capturing a Cheetah hunt sequence with my Z9/20fps and oddly enough just as Mum tripped up this big Ram sending him into the path of a med size bush culminating in a dramatic catapult and flip, my Z9 missed 4 or 5 frames twice in between regaining AF (so it regained AF each time in 1/5s) and yet Martin ( my video rookie:LOL:) shooting with video on my other Z9/70-200 didn't miss a beat! o_O :D:D ...........Totally blown away by how good the video AF is. (y)
I'll post the video/link later in the Video forum.

Symmetry in their stride

Nikon Z9
Nikkor Z400 TC f/2.8
1/3200s
f/6.3
-0.67EV
ISO720
(For ALL shots)

View attachment 86766

View attachment 86767

Z9/Z400TC misses AF! :censored:

View attachment 86770

Regains AF just as Mum is about to implement her classic ankle tap & trip manoeuvre!

View attachment 86769

Misses AF again , (as the Ram is about to clip that bush) although my target is moving away from the focal plane, it still should not present an issue for the Z9, (granted good AF technique).

View attachment 86771

Regains AF as the Impala Ram is sent into a catapulting flip.

View attachment 86772

AF is fine here despite the blocking tree.

View attachment 86773

From here on in, the AF didn't miss a beat. Not a criticism I guess, just an observation.

View attachment 86774

Cheers
Marc

Did you find out why the couple of missed focus frames occurred or was this acceptable.

That’s an incredible sequence! Congratulations! I have been to Naboisho, great place. How have you managed to see so many cheetah chases? Do you have a particular strategy? Did you use the tracking function on your camera for this sequence?
I have an extreme passion for Africa and it's wildlife and this was my 52nd trip here (since '81) and have had a lot of trips to Ndutu & Namiri with excellent numbers of Cheetah and
will often spend 20+ nights in 1 camp and have had witnessed 10+ Cheetah hunts on many of those trips whereby my guide and I won't return for a break and be out all day, just as Cheetah will do to give them a chance of success.
I'll pick up my target using either Single Pt (I'm old school! ;) ) or C1W (1x1) which has SD and then handover to 3D tracking to do it's job. This will often depend on grass height, in grass length over 1M (3ft) there is still NO AF mode which will give a high success lock on AF hit rate. On this particular day it wasn't an issue, although the Z9 will still miss a few frames every now and then, but honestly I'm extremely happy with it's AF hit rate. (y)

Last edited:
I have an extreme passion for Africa and it's wildlife and this was my 52nd trip here (since '81) and have had a lot of trips to Ndutu & Namiri with excellent numbers of Cheetah and
will often spend 20+ nights in 1 camp and have had witnessed 10+ Cheetah hunts on many of those trips whereby my guide and I won't return for a break and be out all day, just as Cheetah will do to give them a chance of success.
I'll pick up my target using either Single Pt (I'm old school! ;) ) or C1W (1x1) which has SD and then handover to 3D tracking to do it's job. This will often depend on grass height, in grass length over 1M (3ft) there is still NO AF mode which will give a high success lock on AF hit rate. On this particular day it wasn't an issue, although the Z9 will still miss a few frames every now and then, and honestly I'm extremely happy with it's AF hit rate. (y)
Thank you for the focus settings, thanks for sharing your passion.

I'll pick up my target using either Single Pt (I'm old school! ;) ) or C1W (1x1) which has SD and then handover to 3D tracking to do it's job. This will often depend on grass height, in grass length over 1M (3ft) there is still NO AF mode which will give a high success lock on AF hit rate. On this particular day it wasn't an issue, although the Z9 will still miss a few frames every now and then, and honestly I'm extremely happy with it's AF hit rate. (y)
I just had a truly enjoyable look through your web site, what an amazing collection of moments, it reflects your passion dedication of time and love in what you do, your eye and amazing skill sets complete the story telling and changes a little more the way i feel or understand some of the incredible wild life and the way they live.

It is enjoyable photography in the true sense.

I'll pick up my target using either Single Pt (I'm old school! ;) ) or C1W (1x1) which has SD and then handover to 3D tracking to do it's job. This will often depend on grass height, in grass length over 1M (3ft) there is still NO AF mode which will give a high success lock on AF hit rate. On this particular day it wasn't an issue, although the Z9 will still miss a few frames every now and then, but honestly I'm extremely happy with it's AF hit rate. (y)
Many thanks Marc. I share your love of Africa (was born in Kenya and lived there until I was 10). We go once a year so far off your 52 trips! Thanks for the shooting info. I have a Sony so it’s slightly different. Your shots really inspired me to go after a hunt! Happy travels in Africa

Back