Chuck Willis Widow

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

You won't find this fellow at your backyard feeder and you will only find him towards evening. This is a Chuck Willis Widow and he is a night bird and uses his excellent camouflage to keep you and predators from seeing him anytime. He has a very loud distinct call which allows him to find others of his kind. For more info go here.

RD5_2195-Chuck Willis Widow.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

RD5_2229-Chuck Willis Widow.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

My wife and I had dinner with a couple on Friday evening. The wives knew each other, but we husbands had never met either each other or the other's spouse. It turns out that he is a retired biologist with a PHD in Orthinology. Afterwards he sent me several files he used for research and one of them was an audio recording of a Chuck-will's-widow. Hearing the recording reminded me of my growing up days when we didn't have air conditioning in Florida and lived with the house windows open, often hearing these sounds, and many others, from the nearby woods.

Heard often, but seen rarely by me. Your photos of this nocturnal bird are wonderful.

Back