Close encounter with a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I took this photo back in December. The resident juvenile Red-tailed Hawk was being harassed by a Raven and took some pretty close evasive maneuvers in the process, including this one right in front of me. I was shooting with the TC14e on my 200-500 but I ended up clipping the wings because it came so close.

D7500 + 200-500 + TC14e

1/1600 F/9 ISO 800 700mm

CCT_6704-X3.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Wow. IMO there's nothing wrong with clipped wings when it results in an image like this. I call it an in flight portrait. The only optimization I can see would be if the bird was a bit more to the left in the frame. But that's a matter of artistic preference. This is really an excellent shot. If it was in my portfolio it would rank among my favorite BIF images. Congrats on a super job.

Wow. IMO there's nothing wrong with clipped wings when it results in an image like this. I call it an in flight portrait. The only optimization I can see would be if the bird was a bit more to the left in the frame. But that's a matter of artistic preference. This is really an excellent shot. If it was in my portfolio it would rank among my favorite BIF images. Congrats on a super job.
Thanks! I agree with you about the position of the hawk. I thought I gave it enough room on the right but it looks like I could add a little more.

I took this photo back in December. The resident juvenile Red-tailed Hawk was being harassed by a Raven and took some pretty close evasive maneuvers in the process, including this one right in front of me. I was shooting with the TC14e on my 200-500 but I ended up clipping the wings because it came so close.

D7500 + 200-500 + TC14e

1/1600 F/9 ISO 800 700mm

View attachment 32261
Razor Sharp!👍👍

D7500 + 200-500 + TC14e

1/1600 F/9 ISO 800 700mm

View attachment 32261
Beautiful, what focus mode setting, spot, d9, d21, d51

Razor Sharp!👍👍
Thanks!

Beautiful, what focus mode setting, spot, d9, d21, d51
Thanks! I think I was in group AF. Despite having the TC14 attached I think Group works OK. Nikon guarantees the center AF point to work at F/8 but that doesn't mean the surrounding AF points won't work. They just don't work that great. I think single point is better as long as you can keep the AF point on the bird.
When the animal is about to fly right down the lens I think the tight crop is allowed :) Btw, I think the sense of "INCOMING!" is more pronounced in the original crop. Great shot. Nice work!
Thanks! Yes the emphasis is on the birds head so I think the clipped wings worked out.

Back