Close focus issues with the Nikon 70-180 at 70 mm

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Len Shepherd

Supporting Member
Marketplace
7 minutes 52 seconds in to
there is reference to a Nikon comment (in Japanese) on what seems to me to be a probable field curvature issue at 70mm minimum focus.
The implication in the feedback is there is little problem at 180mm.
There seems to be no comment on softness in the corners perhaps being cropped out when using TC's.

I plan to use this lens with TC's for close-up work mainly at 180mm.

Can anyone provide further feedback?

Can anyone provide further feedback?
I don’t believe actual production models of this lens have actually been released yet. I wouldn’t put too much stock in reviews based on pre-production lenses.

I might wait a bit and not be an early adopter of this lens for macro use (also why I’m looking at it) but I don’t think anyone outside of Nikon has had an actual production version to review so I’d wait a bit before making a purchasing decision.

I wouldn’t put too much stock in reviews based on pre-production lenses.

I might wait a bit and not be an early adopter of this lens for macro use (also why I’m looking at it) but I don’t think anyone outside of Nikon has had an actual production version to review so I’d wait a bit before making a purchasing decision.
Sorry - the gremlins got at my original message - perhaps not old age.

The comment to look 7 mins 50 seconds into the video got missed

The caution is from Nikon

Screen grab from a small segment of the screen belowthe video below

Nikon 70-180 at 70mm min focus.png

I have already found the 100-400 at 400mm with a 1.4 TC can make a very good job thanks to AF and in lens VR of insects from 4-5 feet distance with as little as a 3 inch wide subject.
Cropping 45 MP can get a very usable 1:1 equivalent.
I am expecting the 70-180 at 180 with a TC will get me more magnification with an angle of view equivalent to 250mm with the 1.4 TC or 360mm with the 2x.

Lack of in lens VR in the 70-180 may not be a major issue as IBIS of 5 stops at 70mm might work out at 3.66 stops at 180mm.
Although the 100-400 has 5.5 stops at 400mm the extra camera shake at 400mm should be comparable to 4.3 stops at 180mm.
The 100-400 VR prior to testing has a performance advantage.

I am aware the benefit of VR reduces in close up using the F mount VR 105 macro and more recently the 105 S macro though providing extra steps to reduce camera shake can be taken I have found VR a definite advantage.

If Nikon introduce an around 200mm S macro with V R that takes TC - for my work I would instantly pre-order.

Back